tire rub?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
TGStorm
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

tire rub?

Postby TGStorm » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:35 am

Yesterday when working with my bar lights I happened to look at my tire and found where there is a slight rub on the side wall, at first I was freaking out but after a closer found it was only a light rub. Seems that the bar that holds the rear disc brake is what is rubbing but here is the strange part, it is only rubbing a small part of the tire yet I feel no wobble at all, no shimming, or vibration. Could this just be a defect in the tire making it "buldge" ther a little, and again it is only superfical so I am not worried about it wearing thru the side walls but should I attempt to dig into this and try to bend that bar a little bit away from the tire? Here is a pic.

Trying to do this from my droid and it is not playing nice so will attach pic on next posting.

TGStorm

Re: tire rub?

Postby TGStorm » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:54 am

ok, here are the pic's
Attachments

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:44 pm

there are two spacers on the rear axel for the caliper mount arm. If they were swapped inside for outside you might have this problem.Did you recently put a new rear tire on? Easy to swap the spacers by mistake.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

TGStorm

Postby TGStorm » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:21 am

I have not had to change the tire, I only bought this bike about 6 weeks ago. The tires are fairly new and according to the guy I bought the bike from said the tires were new as of Feb of this year. with it only rubbing one part of the tire (say from the 7 O'clock position to the 5 O'clock position) would that still be miss placed spacers or a defect in the tire?

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:03 am

It could still be the spacers, if you loosen the axel,both the nut and pinch bolt,spin the wheel and see if there is still rubbing going on. Misplaced spacers will cause the caliper to be pulled into the wheel and can cause the torque arm to rub on the tire. hope this is all your problem is.without being able to see it thats my best guess.
Ride safe, Todd

Briaqn Bottrell
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Briaqn Bottrell » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm haveing the same problem although my tire rubs all way around. The brake caliper fits properly over the disk so am unsure if the spacers are wrong but I did install a new tire recently and this is when the problem started. Any idea's would be appreciated. Thanks Brian.
P.S. This is one awesome sight, thanks wingadmin.

TGStorm

Postby TGStorm » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:59 pm

I took a deeper look today, not sure what spacers you are talking about, are they on the caliper or the the wheel bolt or the arm?? I did move a washer today and placed it between the arm and where the caliper joins here is a pic..... not sure if it helped it is so tight and hard to see without taking a large portion of the bike apart, also the rub is getting longer but not deeper, still a light rub.

TGStorm

Postby TGStorm » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:22 pm

TGStorm wrote:I took a deeper look today, not sure what spacers you are talking about, are they on the caliper or the the wheel bolt or the arm?? I did move a washer today and placed it between the arm and where the caliper joins here is a pic..... not sure if it helped it is so tight and hard to see without taking a large portion of the bike apart, also the rub is getting longer but not deeper, still a light rub.

Sorry, no pic right now.... my droid phone just will not upload a pic for some reason.... will load from my desk puter later

TGStorm

Postby TGStorm » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Ok,, here we go, now that I moved the pic's to my desktop, :roll:

this is where I moved the washer, not sure what "spacers" you may be talking about, but I have slightly reduced the rub by moving the washer in between the arm and the caliper brace (where my finger is pointing)

Is this where you were talking about?
Attachments

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:42 pm

the spacers I am talking about are on the axel,one on the inside of the caliper mount and one outside.You would have taken these out when you had the rear wheel off (or the PO had the wheel off for the new tire).If you have the thinner spacer on the inside it will move the caliper and the torque arm closer to the wheel . Clear as mud right?
Ride safe, Todd

TGStorm

Postby TGStorm » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:26 pm

I gottcha.... I will look at the in morning. I have just not had the pleasure of removing the tire on this beast yet lol. Thank you for putting up with my dumb questions.

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:15 pm

No such thing as a dumb question,Tires should not rub,even a little is too much.You are also missing the rubber dust seal from your pin bolt,thats the one with the 14mm head right below your finger in the photo and it allows the caliper to slide and pivot. not critical to have it ,but a good idea. in the mean time make sure the pin bolt is clean and lubed with light grease. You dont want mud getting in there and causing the caliper to hang up.Moly 60 would work well here.

Check out the how to articles that WingAdmin put together,I am sure ther is one on removing your rear wheel.

I found it for you, here it is....... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73
Ride safe,Todd
Ride safe, Todd

TGStorm

Postby TGStorm » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:03 am

Thanks RoadRogue .. after looking this morning I see that all the spacers are the same as in the pic's. I also looked at the sticker that tells me what size tire to use, at first I thought it said xxx/80/16 and I have a xxx/90/16 on the bike and thought there is my problem, but after a closer look, it does say xxx/90/16 so back to square one and not sure why there is a rub,,, well maybe, I put on a white chalk line and let it run for a few min on the center stand, and the line did not go away but will have to see what happens the next time I go for a ride. time to find my pillow been a long day. Thanks again.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”