Starting Problems when hot?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
kona1981
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GL1100 interstate goldwing

Starting Problems when hot?

Postby kona1981 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:05 am

Gl1100 starts fine when cold. However when I stop for fuel and go to restart starter seems to barely turn over and then all of a sudden after two or three attempts fires right up. New battery fully charged. Baffled... Possibly needs a starter rebuild?? anyone had a problem like this. Right now running seaform thru gas and also in the oil; will put on 50 miles or so and do a change to see if that clears out and gunk!! Any help will do Thanks.

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Re: Starting Problems when hot?

Postby N2PPN » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:40 am

My friends and I used to call that "Cadillac Syndrome" It was the sound the starter tried to make when starting up a hot Cadillac back in the days of carburetors on cars... The starter would get maybe a quarter turn of the flywheel of the engine and then kinda "stall" as it tried to turn over the engine... if the starter/battery were good, it would "power" through this "resistance" and turn the engine over and it would start...

Earlier in my GL1100's life it would exhibit the same symptoms when hot (usually in summer after getting off the highway for fuel and then trying to restart the bike) and I always attributed it to "vapor lock" from the carbs being heated and possibly boiling the fuel in the bowls (but later I dismissed that due to the fact that if the fuel was vaporized in the bowls, the engine would just crank over without starting until the bowls refilled and fuel made it into the intakes) so I wound up doing a replacement of my starter and battery (both were tired, the battery was about four years old and the starter was drawing way too many amps on cranking) and never had the problem after that.

Bottom line is first make sure you don't have a fuel problem like a leaking float valve in your carbs (which could cause "hydo-lock" by filling one of your cylinders partially with liquid gasoline which doesn't compress and would cause the piston to stop dead in it's tracks while in the compression stroke) which would be apparent by a heavy smell of fuel from your airclaener when you first stop the bike when it's hot.

Second would be to do a load test on your battery and see if it's still got the "guts" to crank over your engine.

Third would be to use an ammeter to determine if your starter motor is drawing too many amperes when cranking, which indicates the signs of starter failure before you hit the button and get nothing from the starter.

How many miles are on the bike?? Does the bike require more than a "blip" of the starter button to get her fired up when cold?? What kind of MPG are you getting on her?? What is your battery voltage after the bike sits for a day or two unused?? All these questions are good for diagnosis of the health of your engine/fuel system/starter/battery...

Keep us posted...

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

kona1981
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GL1100 interstate goldwing

Postby kona1981 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:07 pm

Thanks Rich
I have 103,000 miles on the bike. It still runs like a charm. When the bike is cold it fires and starts instantly, like a brand new bike. I will do those amp tests like you suggested. My feeling is a tired starter, in which case I will pull off and rebuild and oil lightly which will not take long. Now I have a problem with speedo will get to 20 mph and stops.

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Postby N2PPN » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:11 pm

I tried to find a local shop to rebuild mine way back when the bike was newer... no one (even the custom motor/starter/alternator) shops would attempt it as they didn't have the necessary stuff to work on the armature... they might be able to undercut the commutator, and replace and reset the brushes, but if the windings were bad on the armature I would be SOL on a rebuild.
Sooo, I opted for a new starter and somewhere in the back of my garage is my old starter sitting in the box from the new one.... patiently waiting for the day I can locate someone to do a complete rebuild on it...

I don't think I have the specs for the current draw anymore, but if I do I'll post them.... if anyone else know what a good starter is supposed to draw when cranking, please post it here...

Rich

Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”