Rear brake calipers rebuild

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
vinniethekid
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100 interstate

Rear brake calipers rebuild

Postby vinniethekid » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi I just bought a 82 Gl1100 Interstate with 28k on it and had to rebuild the rear calipers because they froze up. I was able to pump out the pistons I cleaned and sanded and replaced all seals per Manual. But the brakes will not pump up. I removed the brake line to the rear caliper and pumped on the brakes again but not a drop of break fuild comes out. Will I now have to rebuild my rear master cylinder? or could I have done something wrong?

saltydawg1967
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Rear brake calipers rebuild

Postby saltydawg1967 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Most likely, somehow you got air in the brake lines. Make sure your master cylinder is full and that it is free of air. The way I did it was to remove the banjo bolt from the top of the master cylinder and slowly press the brake pedal until fluid comes out. Put your finger over the bolt opening and then release the brake. If there is air, you may have to do it a couple times. Once you know the master cylinder is bled, reinstall the banjo bolt slowly and tighten down. Keep making sure you have the master cylinder topped off, bleed the rear caliper as normal. I had to do this with a caliper rebuild and it worked. From my experience, the brake lines will eventually bleed out all the air if the master cylinder is full of fluid when trying to bleed.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:56 am

More often than not when the calipers freeze up the problem is in the master cylinder. When it gets clogged up the pistons can't release. Usually when the calipers are bad the master needs attention also.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

vinniethekid
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100 interstate

Postby vinniethekid » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks all,sorry I did not get back sooner but it turned out to be air in the line. all is well and my 82 Goldwing is alive and well once more.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”