83 Aspencade without linked brakes?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Gypsy Rover
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

83 Aspencade without linked brakes?

Postby Gypsy Rover » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:07 am

A question to those with greater experience, I recently ordered a stainless steel braided brake line replacement kit for my 83 Aspey and received a set that had banjo fittings on both ends of all the lines. When I called the suppler they told me I hadn't specified the linked brake system and sent for the normal non-linked system. I've never heard of a 1983 without linked brakes so, does such a thing exist?

BTW I now have a front and rear set of lines which are of no use to me and I'm not about the spend another $75.00 for shipping and restocking to return them if someone can use them I'll send you the lenghts and take a hit on the price.

Thanks
Dale

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: 83 Aspencade without linked brakes?

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:32 pm

I would be interested in the name of the company that sent you those lines. I have NEVER seen a 83 Aspy that didnt have linked brakes.If the company was in doubt as to what to ship you I would think that they should have asked before sending. Could these be our most favorite friends at Saber Cycle up to their usual? Sounds just like them doesnt it? Anyone want to bet a cookie on it?

Bottom line is , if you asked for lines for an 83 Aspencade they sent you the wrong ones and they should replace them at thier cost, But thats just my opinion.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:59 am

How much do you want for them? I have been thinking about going to braided lines..who did you buy them from..if Saber Cycle..no thanks but others OK. NOte there is a guy on Saunder's site who sells braid , lines fairly cheap..and I have heard good reports on his
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Gypsy Rover
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Gypsy Rover » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:29 am

Roadrogue, the kit was ordered online from "Fast Sports Bikes" part of the L Seven Development LLC. They have at least three different online outlets that I'm aware of but the same policies for all, no returns for sale items. Like you I've never heard of an 83 Aspencade that didn't have linked brakes, after all that was their introductory year! However, none of their online outlets show an option for choice so I just assumed it was the proper kit.

They did agree to take the parts back, with a 20% restocking fee but only as a big favor to me, plus shipping from me to them and then more shipping to send the proper kit back to me, no thanks! Guess they make their money first time around because they won't be getting any more from me.

RBGerson, PM sent.

Cheers
Dale

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:32 pm

Guess I lost a cookie. I dont blame you for not wanting to deal with them again.Once biten,twice shy etc.

Measure up the lines you have center of banjo bolt to center of banjo bolt ,I will measure the ones I took off my 82 Aspy if they are the same you can sell them on the forum as a kit for the same. will measure and pm you tomorrow evening. I got my lines from HEL , fit like they are supposed to,and work amazing.Sharp ,crisp strong brakes.

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”