Strange sound and jumping speedometer

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
TGStorm
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Strange sound and jumping speedometer

Postby TGStorm » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:29 pm

On a ride this weekend coming home, I heard a strange sound, like a vibration coming from the front of the bike, at first I thought it was the speakers,,, but today I heard it a lot worse and when I touched my gauges to see if something was loose I could "feel" it, then I noticed my speedometer was starting to jump from 20mph to 60 or so then after I broke 30-35 the noise and jumping would stop but when I slowed down to make a turn or a stop sign it would start again. with a quick look I found a screw that is kind of loose and there is no nut on it, not sure if it is or is not to have one, also the crapping thing is I am heading to work now and my phone will not up load a pic so I will have to do that later tonight when I get home. any ideas what is going on and hopefully this is a easy fix.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Strange sound and jumping speedometer

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Unhook the cable and don't use it until it can be repaired.If a internal screw is stuck to the magnet it can destroy the spedo.I just pulled apart a gl1100 spedo.The 2 screws on the back do not have nuts on them.They hold the mechanism to the rear housing.Look close at the dial plate,there are suppose to be 2 black screws on it.One on each side of the needle.I found one stuck to the magnet on mine.There are also at least 4 more screws on the inside.It's disassembled by prying at least 1/2 of the metal ring lip up.You'll have to remove the trip lever rubber to get the knob through the case.Trying to remove the knob will most likely damage the inside.Don't pry it off.If you do want to get the knob off to save the rubber,cut it off.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”