*Click*

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
thefrontsight
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate

*Click*

Postby thefrontsight » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Ok.....Here is the deal....key goes in, turns, solenoid just goes click......GRRRRRR!!!!!

here is what has been done....

new battery
rebuild starter
new solenoid (ebay but worked when it was installed)
battery tender jr says GREEN!

so....having said all this.....is there any suggestions why the solenoid would just click on a good battery? I checked the connections and all seem solid.

please help.
Michael

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: *Click*

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Test probe the wire on the starter.key on,push the start button.got 12 volt?yes= bad starter no=bad relay

sperryunivac
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate
1969 Bsa Lightning

Postby sperryunivac » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:17 pm

After the solenoid goes click the " GRRRRRR!!!!!" is the sound you make and not that of the starter?
If you have 12 volts at the starter motor then your solenoid is doing its job. I take it that the starter does not turn the engine over, not even a small amount?
Be sure that your ground connections are clean and also those that go from the solenoid to the starter.
I recently purchased my '83 GL1100 that had a new starter installed by the previous owner and it would spin but not turn the engine. I thought the problem was the sprague clutch but it turned out that the new starter was defective (cheap aftermarket type).
Even though you have 12 v at the starter it is possible that the starter motor current draw is very small.
Risky but as sure fire test is a jumper cable from the +ve terminal first thent to the starter terminal, BUT, there will be a huge spark when you make the connection to the starter terminal. Bike on the center stand an in neutral of course.

thefrontsight

Postby thefrontsight » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:38 pm

I also have the most trouble starting the bike when its warm, like on a break during a long ride. does anyone else have this problem? does this indicate that the wiring needs to be replaced?
i need this thing to be more reliable.
Michael

cbach1981
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby cbach1981 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:56 pm

I see you say rebuilt starter. did you rebuild it or buy a rebuilt one? If you rebuilt it, did you use new brushes? My positive side brush was so pitted that it would barely turn the starter. Replaced them and man what a difference. Check out randakks tech tip to help find the issue. That's what helped me. http://www.randakks.com/TechTip54.htm
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:57 am

Things to check..first turn engine over by hand..if it not locked up move on to..jumping the starter from a car..if it runs freely move to jumping the posts on the solenoid with a BIG screw driver you don't like, the key on..if works, on to the starter switch and wiring. Also the battery may look good but under load if the voltage drops below 10V's it can't turn the starter.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

thefrontsight

Postby thefrontsight » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:50 pm

cbach1981 wrote:I see you say rebuilt starter. did you rebuild it or buy a rebuilt one? If you rebuilt it, did you use new brushes? My positive side brush was so pitted that it would barely turn the starter. Replaced them and man what a difference. Check out randakks tech tip to help find the issue. That's what helped me. http://www.randakks.com/TechTip54.htm

the interesting thing is that when the bike is cold it starts quickly...usually....but when warm .... it will barely turn over and acts like the compression has trippled... just barely chuggs.....acts like the new sears battery is bad....

as far as the starter goes....the brushes looked great....and on the bench it lights off like a rocketship.....

im so lost for a solution!
Michael

thefrontsight

Postby thefrontsight » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:27 am

Update....

so after much toil and pain....i checked with a multimeter the voltage at the starter. it was reading 13 so i knew that the starter solenoid, battery and start switch were hot. because i was still getting a click the only problem that it could be was the starter. I pulled the starter again and looked at it. the thing just needed to be replaced. it was time. it seems that everything inside the thing was shot. the rebuild i did on it earlier was sufficient for a few weeks but there was sodering that was broken and it was barely turing over on the bench.....

now it starts like it was hit by lightning!

moral of the story is to check everything with a mulitmeter....

Michael

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”