maintenence questions

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
deerhunter
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 aspencade

maintenence questions

Postby deerhunter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:16 pm

Well, good news is pulled the timing belt covers and inside the cover is written "new belts and pulleys 10-21-10 mi34824 dryer honda " . The bike now has 35121 .
The guy I bought it from told me they were new but I always take seller claims with a grain of salt .....
Here is what I plan for this weekend. Run a tank of gas with "seafoam" . Sync carbs, new plugs, adjust valves, .....
My question is in what order should this be done. . My guess is plugs, sync, valves, check sync. Is this correct?
Anything I am missing?

Thanks, Scott

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: maintenence questions

Postby MJSantos » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:24 pm

You're almost there. I'd run the Seafoam change the plugs, adjust valves then sync. Valve adjustment will change the intake vacum. Syncing will correct for the changes if they are significant.

ramdam1
Motorcycle: 1981 GL 1100 Interstate
2011 Kawasaki Nomad

Postby ramdam1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Me I would do the rest. Antifreeze, oil, rear drive oil, flush the brakes, check the battery, change the fork oil, check the stator wires, check or replace the dog bone fuse. I guess I would read this site for about an hour or so and follow the lead of the ones that have been there before. I have and it has kept me running. Good Luck!!

deerhunter

Postby deerhunter » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:05 pm

...thanks. as for the final drive I just replaced the seals to fix a small leak so new oil there and oil change is gonna wait till next weekend as I had to order the filter bolt (looks like someone really liked vice grips as opposed to a wrench) .. and hadn't thought about the coolinng system .... are the thermostats redily available? (Prolly ought to change it while I am at it ....
Thanx again, Scott

deerhunter

Postby deerhunter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:41 pm

Update : just finished adjusting the valves. It was surprisingly easy, with the diy article. Thank god for the guys who take the time to post the "how to articles" I would have never tried this without this site.
A couple of the valves were really close and some were a couple thousandths off. I am curious to see how much this affects how the bike runs. Didn't run too bad before.
Getting ready to put in new plugs and sync the carbs. I will let y'all know how it goes....
Scott

deerhunter

Postby deerhunter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:07 pm

WOW!!!
I cannot believe the difference these little adjustments have made. I finally got around to /quit putting off ... finishing my maintenance. Just got the carbs synced. I am completely amazed at how much of a difference it made. Each side was pretty close but when I got to the last adjustment (adjusting 4 to match 3) it was way off. And as I was making the adjustments I had to keep adjusting the idle but when I finished it runs sooooooo smoooooth ...... I didn't even notice that it was running rough before,I guess because I had been riding a harley sportster and they vibrate like crazy. So long story short if anyone is contimplating doing this it is pretty simple with the how to article .....

Just in case no one has said it before THANKS A MILLION TO THE AUTHOR!

Scott

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”