New member. New problems.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 83 gl1100A

New member. New problems.

Postby rabidgoat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:56 pm

Hi guys, I just got my first bike a few weeks ago and it ended up being an 83GL1100A. I know I know, way too big for a first bike imo but It was a good deal for $350. the few problems I have ran into are somewhat small but make the bike unrideable, front left caliper hung up on my first test ride as I was coming to a stop causing me to rest it on the crash bars. front forks leaking oil all over the place, knocking on idle(cured by draining the tank and re-filling with 93 octane and seafoam) and an oil spot under the rear wheel.

I understand I need a new caliper and am bidding on one on ebay, I know I need new fork seals, but I don't know if I just need the seals or wipers or whatever else is inside those grease sticks. The oil under the rear wheel has me guessing its the rear suspension as well but I'm not sure what I should do with it as it's not that big a spot.

other than that I love the bike. I am 24 so I wasn't a fan of the spaceship front fairing so I removed it and that only made me love it more. I can't wait to get this monster on the road and finally ride this beast. Any recommendations on what I need to fix her up right?

This is her the night we brought her home.

Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Re: New member. New problems.

Postby tprender » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:23 am

You don't need a new calibor, all that you might need to do is to take the calibor off and work the rotor back an fort a few times and see if that fixes the problem. Looks like you got a good deal.

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:38 am

The master cylinder will also need to be cleaned out,not necessarily rebuilt,just clean out the bleeder hole.Look at the "How To Articles" at the top of this page.
Replace the timing belts,Just because.
2 fork seals,cheep.Takes a couple of hours to replace.The forks are left on the bike.
fix the 3 yellow wires next to the battery.
Check the vacuum advance if it doesn't have at least a 7 on the grin factor :D for accelerating.
the only 10 grin factor was the "boss hoss" 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds :o

Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:09 am

If doing forks seals, replace seal, wipers AND bushings..

Leak under wheel could be shocks leaking(over filled with air???) or rear caliper or rear hub.

Caliper hung up could be, stuck piston or collapsed line or return pot clogged. If you release bleeder and it lets's not a stuck piston if it does it is a stuck to rebuild or at least clean out caliper and master and replace liens with braided ones.

Quite a deal if she was running..want to sell the fairing???

Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:43 am

$350 ? Did you wear a mask and carry a gun?

Postby rabidgoat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:09 am

Haha no mask or gun there. I guess the guy just needed money and it was sitting long enough that he figured he wouldn't get anyone offering cash on the spot. I am thinking about selling the fairing. It's just taking up space right now but I had the idea I could would be able to put it back on if I decided to go on a longer road trip. I guess it depends on the price. PM me an offer and I will consider it.

I took the caliper off and worked it around and noticed some wear on the outer seal so I took pistons out. The outer seal was pretty worn and coming apart at the tiny lip that laid against the piston. before I took them off I worked them all the way out and bled the lines and then worked them out again by pumping the brake lever and they moved out and then back ever so slightly so I guess they were broken loose. Now they are out of the caliper though and the outer groove was rusted pretty good, probably causing the wear on the seal. I was looking for a rebuild kit for them but I found a used caliper with pads on ebay is cheaper.

I'm not sure about the rear brakes as after it locked up we took the caliper off, zip tied it to the fork out of the way and it rode fine for a while after that. the suspension did feel spongy though and adding to them with the compressor didn't do anything.
I will order the fork seals, wipers, and bushings today, hopefully they will get here soon as my 10 days to ride without inspection is running out.

I updated the imgur album with up to date pictures of the bike with the fairing removed. behind that weight is a mess of wires that actually had a "pigtail" as my dad called it, it was what the wiring harness that went into the fairing plugged into. so it had a plug for my headlight :D didn't expect that at all and made me marvel at honda's forethought. the only thing I am wondering now is if this bike had vtec would that give it a grin factor of 11??

Postby rabidgoat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:10 pm

also, is this what I need? or do I need bushings too? ... ccessories

Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100(Bella)
1983 gl1100A(Acadia)
1983 gl1100(Trixie)
1981 gl500(Silver)
1980 GN 400(scat)
1979 cx500(Streak)
2004 CMX 250 Rebel(SOLD)
2008 roketa Bali 150(SOLD)

Postby mortiki » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:20 am

I would not leave rear caliper off and ride more than around the block. `83's have linked brakes and pedal is used for half your front brakes so doing that cuts braking by two thirds. I just did fork seals on Bella last winter and inspected bushing via honda and they passed and since problem was overpressured air I had good wipers so seals is all I replaced and it doing fine now. Use onboard compressor and watch the guage close or if compressor inop use hand pump. I used shop compressor and even setting regulator to 12psi it was volume that got my seals. I just got an `83A and am going thru it now but I gave a grand for running bike with another motor so you did real good. Acadia has rear pedal locked up so first thing is a zert. Then I need to work on compressor and carbs to get fuel mileage up(ride home took half a tank for 38 miles)
There is never enough time to do it right but there is always time to do it over.
Edmond Burke "The only thing necessary for the advancement of evil is for good men to do nothing".

Postby rabidgoat » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:44 pm

nope not very far at all, its been on the engine stand ever since.

Nice. I still have to do my fork seals and am waiting on parts to get here from ebay for that and a new caliper. Sadly as I was checking out the rear suspension, taking off the shocks and such, after putting them back on I was tightening the nut that holds the shock and rear crash bars on it snapped off.... :( I drilled out the center of the stud and replaced it with a bolt that would fit from the **** ($6.99 for one bolt) welded it to the frame and am now waiting for my new nuts to come in from them as well ($10 for both). other than that I was shining her up and putting her back together when I get another error. no response from the gauges. completely blank except for the comma on the trip odometer. ohh I guess its somewhat important that I made a headlight from another bike work with a lightbar to get front turnsignals. I didn't splice anything but I removed the weight as I didn't have the fairing on anymore and I had to disconnect everything and reassemble it all to get the plastic bracket thing out from behind the wires. I am 94% sure I got everything in the right plug and am left with only 3 or 4 empty female connectors with nothing to connect to. I checked over the wires leading to it and nothing is loose or grounded out. the fuse next to the battery is good, and so are all in the fusebox. soooo confused on this one. the only thing I changed was I added bullet type connectors to the turn signal 4way female bullet connector junction??
so the turn signals would work. when I was checking all the wires for a short moment I was able to get a few random lcd digit pieces to light up but nothing readable and I have been unable to reproduce it.
please come through again hondagicians I'm burned out and turned out on this one.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”