GL1100 1981 Starter Problem?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
ljtelfer
Motorcycle: none at this time

GL1100 1981 Starter Problem?

Postby ljtelfer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:25 am

I bought this bike a couple of weeks ago. The engine was slightly locked up, I did get it loose and turns over easily by pushing the bike in gear with the spark plugs out. I have a new battery that is fully charged, the solenoid does click when the start button is pushed. The solenoid does seem to be working fine. The started was taken apart and cleaned according to the instructions in the Tech section. The starter would would spin when it was out of the bike. I put the starter back in the bike hooked everything back up, the starter will still not turn over the engine, even when i bypass the solenoid. Even with the spark plugs out, no compression. I think I have told you everything that I have tried, now my question is: Is there anything along the starter chain/clutch that might be locked up? Or do I just have a weak starter and I should get a different starter? Is there a way to check to see if what the starter chain is connected to is bad?
Thanks for the help.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1100 1981 Starter Problem?

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:03 pm

One way to tell if the starter is binding up, or if there is another problem, is to check the amount of current that it is drawing. If you are hitting the start button, and it's drawing a massive amount of current (and the battery voltage drops as well) but not moving the engine, then something is jammed somewhere.

If the starter does NOT draw much current and does not turn the engine, then you've got an electrical problem - either in the starter itself, or in the wiring supplying it.

Keep in mind there could be an electrical short inside the starter that would cause it to draw a lot of current, but not put any torque out, so this isn't a foolproof diagnostic method, but it is a start.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”