Goodbye Wingers

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
HadCancer
Motorcycle: Lost my 80 & 82 Goldwings
1999 Yamaha Venture

Goodbye Wingers

Postby HadCancer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:49 pm

As a few of you know. I bought a running 82 Goldwing with 2554 miles on it and an 80 Goldwing parts bike. Since no shop in my area would work on a bike that old I advertised for someone that could restore the 82. I also joined this forum then. Well I got ripped off and got both bikes back in pieces. You can see them on Craigslist for Klamath Falls Oregon. I still have the aftermarket drivers seat back I purchased, it is on e-bay. I also have the paint I purchased with a new paint gun (Ice Crystal turquoise Pearl) with double the clear necessary for paint . I will be listing the paint too soon. I have given up my dream of owning a good Goldwing. I bought a 2007 Honda Rebel to help me practice to pass the Team Oregon safety class. I also made a mistake in making a bid on a new holdover 2010 Vulcan 1700 Nomad. Even through it was bid up to my max offer with 4 days to go, no one bid on it. The price was not that bad, but I had to go to dealer in Provo Utah to get it. I went in my diesel pusher motor home that came with a Motorcycle carrier. My wife and I planned to stop and do other things on trip back so it would be more a vacation. Unfortunately, the Motor-home A/C broke and then we lost all power from the generator, and could not get it back on. My wonderful wife was had the washer ,dryer, both roof A/C's computers all running as we went down the highway, so I though we had popped a breaker, but I found neither the GFI or and circuit breakers had popped. With no A/C we changed our plans except for a short visit to the grandson and went straight home. Generator still ran great. We found out after we got back the the generator has another breaker which is hidden. Manufacture told us were it was and bingo we had power and A/C again at least from the roof A/C's. I did not do a lot of research on the Vulcan, but found out has only 2 cylinders and has to run on at least 90 Octane gas due to the 9 to 1 compression ratio...sheez. I am in process of breaking it in and I am getting 38.9 mile per gallon which I guess is not that bad. Anyway, I guess this will be my last post here. If any body wants some custom paint let me know. You could change the color at a minimal expense as most of the expense was for base, reducer, and clear coat and the spray gun cost me a little less than 100.00, 99.00 I think. Have fun Wingers

mcasteel
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Goodbye Wingers

Postby mcasteel » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:22 am

That is so bad my friend. I hate that happened to you with your Wings. However that vulcan is an awesome bike as well, my uncle has one and loves it. Take care an keep the shiny side up!
"I'm a single tail light in the wind"
"Keep the shiny side up"
"Pride is something you earn or achieve, not something you attain by accident of birth" - George Carlin

AMA / NRA / BSA

gwbldad
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby gwbldad » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:43 am

Sorry to hear that your dream will not materialize. Check in once in a while to let us know how your Vulcan works out. Most of us Wingers have (or presently) owned other bikes, and love to share our experiences - good or bad.
Hope to meet you someday touring.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:29 pm

Sad to see you go. And sorry to hear you got screwed over by a bad shop. A friend of mine rides a Vulcan (and an old Motoguzzi) - He loves the Vulcan for long rides.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

cal3san
Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Shadow Aero 750 with MT Trike Kit (sold 9/13)
1982 GL 1100 Interstate
w/1999 Lehman Trike Kit (sold 12/12)
1996 GL-1500A with 2009 Champion Trike Kit (sold 7/15)
2003 GL-1800 with 2113 Champion Trike Kit
2007 Aspen Sentry Camper (sold 5/12)
2012 Mini-Mate Kompac Kamper
2014 TO Slipstream Camper

Postby cal3san » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:40 pm

At least you didn't quit riding altogether after your experiences with the bad shop. May you have happiness and safe roads with your Vulcan and do stop by now and then to chat.
YNCM-USN Retired (1964-1990)
RVN Veteran (MCB-53 1968)
PGR

HadCancer
1999 Yamaha Venture

Postby HadCancer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:22 am

I will try, but I now joined a Kawasaki forum. They do no have prizes every month or have a super nice moderator web host like you guys, but lets face it the Goldwing is a better bike. Honda just makes good stuff. My little Rebel 250 even just purrs, and starts so fast I just barely touch the starter switch. I do not know about the older models but I think with the 2010 Vulcan Nomad they were trying to get the Harley Growl. I know with only two honkin pistons to drive it I can actually feel the bike jump when I give it some throttle, especially in the 6th overdrive gear. My goal now is to add a couple things to make it more comfortable. I already got a driver seat back. Next, a rear luggage carrier. I going to have to save up for that as they want and arm and leg for just the rack. I found a Wompus rack, but I am not sure if he is making a 1700 version yet. They have some nice Chinese carriers on e-bay, but they need rack to mount, and I am not sure how good the quality is. I have one good and one bad experience with China stuff.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:39 am

Well, I guess if you had to choose a bike, you did really well, here's my 1500 03 Nomad...I had some fun on this baby.. I think you will like your Kawa..I know you will... John Lawrance is Gadget and he has a awesome Nomad site, he is one really smart man and a crafty guy .. Good luck..

HadCancer
1999 Yamaha Venture

Postby HadCancer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:20 am

Thank _you for the thought and info. I got rid of the 80 and 82 Goldwings yesterday and boy did I take a bath 500.00 for both.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”