Fork Seal Replacement

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
penntoy123
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Fork Seal Replacement

Postby penntoy123 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:02 pm

I am replacing the fork seals on my 82 wing, wow what a job so far. I don't think the PO ever did it. The circlips and plates was all rusted and each side had only 1 to 2 oz of fluid in them. They were so bad, one clip snapped on me and it took me almost 2 hours just to get a hold of it and to break the rust enough to come out. The seal were all corroded and brittle. Now I have all the inner parts on order and I am waiting for them to arrive. Since I have it all apart I have decided to polish the lowers, so far they are looking good. I still have to adjust the valves, replace the timing belts, polish the covers, then sync the carbs. I hope to be back on the road in two weeks.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Fork Seal Replacement

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:23 pm

seeing as though you already have it completely apart why dont you put Progressive Suspension springs in there as well. The factory springs are 29 years old now and are not doing the job as they should anymore. Should cost you less than $100 more. heres a link to get you started
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/fo ... index.html

I did mine front and rear 2 years ago, worth every penny
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

penntoy123

Postby penntoy123 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:53 am

I was thinking about replacing the springs, but I wanted to see if I could remove the lowers without removing the full fork. Besides the clips being rusted in place, the process is going fairly smooth. The ride seemed smooth before (I really don't have anything to compare with), the problem I was having when I would add air, or remove air, the fork seemed to stick. Going over bumps seemed ok, no shake or bottoming out. I really think the biggest problem was both the forks and rear shocks only had 1 to 2 oz of fluid in each. I also think I have an air bleed between the front and rear suspension. I'll be checking that next.

penntoy123

Postby penntoy123 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:33 am

Yesterday I was able to finally finish the front forks. It took all day, but I learned alot. Using this forum, Clymers and the Service manual I was able to complete it. A few notes- I did not remove the forks, I just removed the lowers, the hard part was to seat the seals. I just could not get the first one to set, after a few hours I sat down thought a bit then made two supports so I could use some bar clamps. I cut two pieces of 3/4 plywood to 3"x8" and 4"x8". The 3" I drill two 1/2" holes so it would fit over the studs for the axel clamp, I put the nuts on finger tight to help keep it stable. The 4" I drilled a 1 3/4" hole in the center, then ripped it lengthwise. I had a 4" pvc pipe (Split) placed on fork tube secured with two 1 1/2 - 2" hose clamps so the pvc would not spread, then placed the 4" piece above it, with both pieces secured with a clamp on both sides. I then placed two bar clamps on each side between the 3" and 4" pieces. I was able to provide enough pressure to set the seals. The suspension feels and works much better now. Hopefully this will help someone else.

kdurfee
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby kdurfee » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:46 pm

I was very excited to get my new progressive springs and put them in my 83 Aspencade. Lo and behold: rusted cir clips are what I found underneath the cracked dust seals. It's pretty bad. They are brittle and stuck in their groves. How can they be removed?

thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby thunderwing » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:14 pm

PB Blaster.....keep on spraying, and spraying and spraying. You need the proper snap ring tool to get those clips out of there.

I just took my tubes out and brought them to honda dealer and they undid the clips for me for $15 each side.

Here are some helpful links to the tool and a thread about how to help you out.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-02 ... ingdocs-20

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5601

Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry/Former Ride-God I miss that machine.....
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian
Professional Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”