82 Aspencade been sitting up for several years

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
rsnake
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

82 Aspencade been sitting up for several years

Postby rsnake » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:31 pm

What should be done to reincarnate this beast. It has been siiting up for about 3 years...inside at least. Where do I start?

cbach1981
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Re: 82 Aspencade been sitting up for several years

Postby cbach1981 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:31 am

Where to start....... Timing belts should be top priority if you don't know there age. Drain fuel tank and fill with fresh fuel plus seafoam. Oil and filter change. Check the harness to the left of the battery that has 3 yellow wires. if its melted, cut it out and solder the wires together. Might as well get rid of the original solenoid if its still there. The dog-bone fuses are a major sorce of headaches. get a new after market solenoid with blade type fuse. I'm sure I'm missing something, but someone will chime in. Good luck!!
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:36 am

here's a complete list of things you can do..should??? do.

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip24.htm

Minimum..change timing belts, check the oil if it looks good drain a quart add some solvent.(. sea foam, mmo or diesel) and run it easy for 50 miles then change oil and filter, flush radiator , change gas filter..check tank for rust.. clean if rusty..it will be??? drain brakes, replace fluid and bleed and check. run sea foam through the carbs for the first tank or two.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

rsnake
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby rsnake » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Got her home and sure enough...no brakes. The fluid was like water. I bled the front and got enough brake to get it off the trailer. Rear brake pedal is very stiff and hardly moves. Is there a bushing that this pivots on? Any suggestions on this? How do you check the oil level. Some bikes have a dip stick and some have a sight glass. I have neither??? The plugs look ok...a little more fouled on 1 cylinder than the others so I know the carbs will need a little work. The previous owner parked it because it was running rough and he thought he may have gotten a bad tank of gas. Speaking of gas...how do you get to the little screw that holds the fuel filter. It looks impossible to get to from the side. Is there a trick to that? Thanks again for all your help. She will run again...it's just a matter of time and a little TLC.

cbach1981
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby cbach1981 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:53 am

rsnake wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys. Got her home and sure enough...no brakes. The fluid was like water. I bled the front and got enough brake to get it off the trailer. Rear brake pedal is very stiff and hardly moves. Is there a bushing that this pivots on? Any suggestions on this? How do you check the oil level. Some bikes have a dip stick and some have a sight glass. I have neither??? The plugs look ok...a little more fouled on 1 cylinder than the others so I know the carbs will need a little work. The previous owner parked it because it was running rough and he thought he may have gotten a bad tank of gas. Speaking of gas...how do you get to the little screw that holds the fuel filter. It looks impossible to get to from the side. Is there a trick to that? Thanks again for all your help. She will run again...it's just a matter of time and a little TLC.

There are no bushings on the brake pedal. Best thing to do is remove it, clean it and the post it sits on, and lube it well. The fuel filter can be removed by unhooking the fuel lines at the fuel pump and petcock. Then remove the nut holding the filter bracket in place. It will come out and you can then remove the bracket and lines and install a new filter in it's place. Should have a sight glass for the oil under the rear brake pedal. If it's dirty, the little screw in the middle of the glass controls a wiper inside. just turn the screw to clear the glass.

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”