head gasket fitment

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bborden01
Motorcycle: 1983 honda goldwing aspencade

head gasket fitment

Postby bborden01 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:16 pm

I have a 1983 Aspencade. I briefly overheated it while parked and shut it down immediately. I decided to do all the little things at this time and after pulling the engine, removing the heads, and cleaning and having the heads and blocked checked for cracks and warping, I am attempting to reassemble. The problem is when I install the heads with the new head gaskets, torque them to the factory specs of 40 ft.lbs., I see light around the entire head/gasket surface except where the fire ring is. I tried installing the head without the gasket and it fits fine, square and flush. The fire ring apparently is not crushing far enough. I am using a gasket set from Saber Cycle. Both heads are having the same issue. Am I not torqing enough? Do I need Honda Gaskets? All the other seals and gaskets so far have been fine from Saber. Any help/suggestions would be really appreciated.

Bruce Borden, Saginaw, MI. (newbie wing owner and new GWRRA member.)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: head gasket fitment

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:38 am

Your problem is very likely that you are using substandard Chinese gaskets from Saber Cycle. Do a quick search here for "Saber Cycle" (also have a look at the Saber Cycle Vendor Record, and read all the user comments) and you'll discover why you should never do business with these idiots.

You're going to need to get a set of Honda gaskets, or at least a set of quality aftermarket gaskets.

bborden01
Motorcycle: 1983 honda goldwing aspencade

Re: head gasket fitment

Postby bborden01 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Thank you for your help. While not great news for any hope of a refund, at least you have confirmed my suspicions. I will be more selective of vendors next time. Thank you again.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”