wont start fires on wrong timing mark

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
crashdummy
Motorcycle: 1982 goldwing gl1100 interstate

wont start fires on wrong timing mark

Postby crashdummy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:19 pm

i got a 82 goldwing interstate when i got it it ran rough. then my starter went out on me i pulled the motor and replaced the starter and put the bike back together. after this i couldn't get the bike to even start i found out that i had two bent valves so i replaced them but now my problem is the bike is supossed to fire one and two cylanders on F1 and it is supposed to fire numbers 3 and 4 on F2. but my bike is firing in opposite order and i cant figure out why any ideas?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: wont start fires on wrong timing mark

Postby dingdong » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:11 pm

With 2 bent valves the PO probably broke a timing belt. When the belt was replaced the cam pulley may have been aligned to the wrong timing mark.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

crashdummy
Motorcycle: 1982 goldwing gl1100 interstate

Postby crashdummy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:56 am

niether of the timing belts broke when this happened but i did go through the timing and set the cam gears up to the upright position and put the motor on tdc as the manual had told me so and i gapped all my set screws for the cams as they are supposed to be. but it is still firing on the wrong timing mark thats what i cant figure out why i tried to reverse the coils and all that did was make it try to fire on tdc instead of what i thought would make it fire in the right position. i am completly confused on whats going on with this bike

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 am

Do you have any knowledge of how or when the valves got bent? That is usually caused by the pistons hitting the valves for some reason. As in the timing belts out of time or broken or over revving can cause this. I would want to know this before I went any further. There is no actual timing procedure for the 1100 except for setting the belts. Here is a tutorial for the belts just so you can back track to see if you did anything wrong. http://ngwclub.com/shoptalk/
The T1 timing mark is actually two separate positions 360 degrees apart. T1 with #1 cylinder at TDC is also T1 with #2 cylinder at TDC (when rotated 360 degrees). What You are looking for is T1 when the #1 cylinder is at TDC. To determine when #1 is on the compression stroke you will be able to feel movement in that rocker arm. Valves fully closed.

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”