1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse


Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
wing_newb
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:51 pm
Location: Southern UT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby wing_newb » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:19 pm



Hey guys.
I just bought my 1980 gl1100 interstate with an 82 1100 engine in it about a week ago. I wanted to use it as a commuter to work everyday and I'm pretty excited about it. So I was heading to work and the engine started pooping out. No power when giving it some throttle. So I turned on the blinker and after a while I noticed that the engine revved up like it should and had power when the blinker flashed. So I got it to work surging. I got thinking and figured it was some kind of short or ground issue. I pulled the side cover off where the battery is and found the starter relay with the 30 amp main fuse screwed on to it. I went to open it and it was completely fried. Melted! I also followed the ground off of the starter relay into the starter and it looks connected good, but the rubber around it is also a little melted. Any help? Is it a bad ground off the starter that fried the fuse? Is that even my problem? Do I need a new starter? Any comments would be very helpful!

Thanks,
Adam



cbach1981
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: Salem, ME
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby cbach1981 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:13 am

First thing I would suggest is to go through the whole thing and clean all electrical connections. Also, replace that solenoid. The "dog-bone" fuses are always a source of headaches. You can get an aftermarket solenoid for around $40 that uses standard blade type fuses. To the left of the battery, there are two small wire harnesses. One has three yellow wires. These are known for melting and causing issues as well. Cut the plastic harness out and then splice the wires together and solder. If you need a service manual, you can download one by going here: http://cid-978916b005999849.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=978916B005999849!109

Hope this helps
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

User avatar
RBGERSON
Posts: 2612
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:57 am
Location: SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:28 pm

If the insulator at the starter is compromised it could be shorting out the system.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

wing_newb
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:51 pm
Location: Southern UT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby wing_newb » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:51 pm

cbach1981 wrote:First thing I would suggest is to go through the whole thing and clean all electrical connections. Also, replace that solenoid. The "dog-bone" fuses are always a source of headaches. You can get an aftermarket solenoid for around $40 that uses standard blade type fuses. To the left of the battery, there are two small wire harnesses. One has three yellow wires. These are known for melting and causing issues as well. Cut the plastic harness out and then splice the wires together and solder. If you need a service manual, you can download one by going here: http://cid-978916b005999849.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=978916B005999849!109

Hope this helps


The fuse that looks fried looks like it was a blade type fuse that was connected on to the front of the starter relay just to the right of the battery by the two screws. It looks like it was just in one of those rubber housings with a lid that you can pop off (I dont know if you know what I'm talking about. I might have to show some pictures.) But I really don't know for sure because it is totally melted. I just wonder what caused the melting. I will for sure remove the false tank and trace all the electrical wires to clean the connections, and check the wires for any exposure. Thanks for the input!

cbach1981
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: Salem, ME
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby cbach1981 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:39 pm

i know what you are describing. someone put an inline fuse holder in place of the dog bone. sounds like there may have been some major current going through to melt the wire coating. maybe your voltage regulator? not sure on this stuff, but there are some here that can tell you exactly how the whole system works, so keep posting your progress and maybe a more informed fellow will see this and offer some help.
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

wing_newb
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:51 pm
Location: Southern UT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby wing_newb » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Hey cbach,
One question. You said I should replace that starter relay/solenoid. Where can I get one that you were talking about?

cbach1981
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: Salem, ME
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby cbach1981 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:16 am

Get them at a dealer or online. Mine was $40 at a dealer. Here is a pic of the type to get.

    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

wing_newb
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:51 pm
Location: Southern UT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby wing_newb » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Hey thanks for that! I've seen ones on ebay that look like that for about $23. Then do you buy the fuse holder to go onto the two screws on the relay?

wing_newb
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:51 pm
Location: Southern UT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby wing_newb » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:13 pm

So I removed my starter relay to get a better look at things. I have some pictures you will see how it was set up. The main fuse is clearly melted as you can see from the pictures. As I mentioned before, the insulation on the wire that goes from the relay to the starter motor was melted a bit right where it covers the connection to the starter motor. I inspected that as well and removed it. I don't know if that is not getting a good connection which may be shorting it out. Anyone let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Adam

cbach1981
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: Salem, ME
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby cbach1981 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:06 pm

wing_newb wrote:Hey thanks for that! I've seen ones on ebay that look like that for about $23. Then do you buy the fuse holder to go onto the two screws on the relay?



No fuse holder required. See the fuse sticking out of the top? Thats it for these. Plug in your wire harness and connect the wires and you are good to go
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

wing_newb
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:51 pm
Location: Southern UT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby wing_newb » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:04 pm

cbach1981 wrote:
No fuse holder required. See the fuse sticking out of the top? Thats it for these. Plug in your wire harness and connect the wires and you are good to go

I noticed that fuse right after I typed up that last message. Then I felt dumb. Thanks. I'll get the new one and see how it works. I also wanted to ask you about the 3 yellow wires you said were to the left of the battery. I saw them there, and from the top end they are connected with a connector that has white and gray colored wires and there are four of them. Since there are only 3 yellow wires the fourth gray wire is cut off and just hanging there. It connects into similar female wire harness and back to the 3 yellow wires. Is that normal, or did the previous owner rig that up? I'm thinking I should do as you said and cut out that middle junk and just put the three yellow ones together. Since they are all yellow, how do I know which ones to hook up together?

User avatar
guitarlos
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:45 am
Location: Speedway IN
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby guitarlos » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:25 am

The only thing that I can think of that would draw that much current would be your starter. Perhaps the relay stuck and kept supplying voltage to teh starter, time elapsed and overheated causing the meltdown. Ugh.

cbach1981
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: Salem, ME
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby cbach1981 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:43 pm

wing_newb wrote:
cbach1981 wrote:
No fuse holder required. See the fuse sticking out of the top? Thats it for these. Plug in your wire harness and connect the wires and you are good to go

I noticed that fuse right after I typed up that last message. Then I felt dumb. Thanks. I'll get the new one and see how it works. I also wanted to ask you about the 3 yellow wires you said were to the left of the battery. I saw them there, and from the top end they are connected with a connector that has white and gray colored wires and there are four of them. Since there are only 3 yellow wires the fourth gray wire is cut off and just hanging there. It connects into similar female wire harness and back to the 3 yellow wires. Is that normal, or did the previous owner rig that up? I'm thinking I should do as you said and cut out that middle junk and just put the three yellow ones together. Since they are all yellow, how do I know which ones to hook up together?



Does not matter which one goes to which. Yellow to yellow is all you need. Not sure what gray wire you are talking about. Can you take a pic? maybe we can tell what's what.
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

User avatar
DCoxson1969
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:35 pm
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby DCoxson1969 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:40 am

When replacing the relay with the aftermarket one the stock plug will not fit correctly due to the fuse. Mine was cut off and connectors were crimped on but I am not 100 percent sure the wires are in the right position. Can some one please give me direction on the order of how the wires plug into the aftermarket relay?
FIREFIGHTER: Busting mine to save yours!

wing_newb
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:51 pm
Location: Southern UT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby wing_newb » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:06 pm

DCoxson1969 wrote:When replacing the relay with the aftermarket one the stock plug will not fit correctly due to the fuse. Mine was cut off and connectors were crimped on but I am not 100 percent sure the wires are in the right position. Can some one please give me direction on the order of how the wires plug into the aftermarket relay?


Hey everyone, I just got my new starter relay in the mail today and hooked it up. The good news is now I have lights and everything when I put the key in. The bad news is the bike still wont start. When I turn the switch to run, and push the starter button, I hear a click sound and the headlight shuts off, and the starter does not go. As soon as I let go of the starter button, the headlight comes back on. I don't know what that is but I have a feeling it might be the connection from the relay to the starter or even the starter itself. Let me know what you think.

DC,
When I got my aftermarket starter relay, I just took the connector attatchment that comes from the electrical elements of the bike and cut off the clip part. If you know what I'm talking about. If not, here is a picture. I cut that off and then it fit into the socket of the new aftermarket relay. Let me know if that helps!

User avatar
DCoxson1969
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:35 pm
Location: United States
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby DCoxson1969 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:16 am

Wish I would have thought of that before cutting... I did get into a wiring diagram and checked the wire locations and I am good to go now. Thank you for your time.
FIREFIGHTER: Busting mine to save yours!

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17045
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:47 pm

wing_newb wrote:So I removed my starter relay to get a better look at things. I have some pictures you will see how it was set up. The main fuse is clearly melted as you can see from the pictures. As I mentioned before, the insulation on the wire that goes from the relay to the starter motor was melted a bit right where it covers the connection to the starter motor. I inspected that as well and removed it. I don't know if that is not getting a good connection which may be shorting it out. Anyone let me know what you think.
Thanks,


Ah, here's what's happened. Someone has ALREADY replaced your dogbone master fuse with an inline fuse holder. But judging by the size of the wire, the fuse holder they used is NOT rated for 30 amps. So it just heated up until it melted.

Just replace that inline fuse holder with one rated for 30 amps (you can get them at Radio Shack for $5 or so) and you should be good to go.

But also do the yellow wire fix mentioned here, too.

User avatar
maritimeboy
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:31 pm
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Re: 1980 Gl1100 Starter Relay/30 amp main fuse

Postby maritimeboy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:37 pm

Dejavu....I am about to recreate a complete new harness. Started out exactly as you described. All brown/white wires inside were all 7 strand and melted everything near them.
Good luck

Cheers


Some days your the statue, some days your the Pigeon!


Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests