Crap, I broke my Speedometer cable

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
MedicMike
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Crap, I broke my Speedometer cable

Postby MedicMike » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:39 pm

OK, long story short. I rebuilt the rear caliper yesterday. Works fine. Take the bike out today and now the left front is binding really bad. Got home and took it apart and cleaned it and changed the pads, hoping it would work, but knowing probably not. Put it back on and took it for a ride. Still acting up, so I'll rebuild both front calipers in a few days. After I park it, I look down and go "WTF is that"! Yup, speedo cable was snapped out of the bottom part on the front axle. So now what? Can I replace it? Thanks for any help.

MM

mcasteel
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Crap, I broke my Speedometer cable

Postby mcasteel » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:05 am

Is the speedo cable itself broken? Or is the sensor where the cable plugs into broken?
Check eBay if nothing else, you can sometimes get parts at a reasonable price from there. If it is just the cable you need, I might have a speedo cable for an '83 that I ordered by mistake (didn't realize the speedo cable for the '82 and '83 are different) if you need it and I can find it I will be happy to send it to you.
My speedo went out several months ago, I replaced the cable and it worked for about 2 weeks and then went out again, after that I said screw it! I don't know how fast I'm going nor do I know how far I have been but I'm cool with it. If I really need to know my speed, I'll get a GPS and mount on it.
"I'm a single tail light in the wind"
"Keep the shiny side up"
"Pride is something you earn or achieve, not something you attain by accident of birth" - George Carlin

AMA / NRA / BSA

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:32 am

you can replace the cable and the speedo gear at the wheel..on eBay or Oem from dealer.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:43 am

Your seizing left front caliper is caused by a plugged bleeder hole in the hand brake master cylinder.

Remove the reservoir and clear the SMALL hole just in front of the main feed hole.

This is a "MUST DO"

MedicMike

Postby MedicMike » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:56 am

mcasteel wrote:Is the speedo cable itself broken? Or is the sensor where the cable plugs into broken?
Check eBay if nothing else, you can sometimes get parts at a reasonable price from there. If it is just the cable you need, I might have a speedo cable for an '83 that I ordered by mistake (didn't realize the speedo cable for the '82 and '83 are different) if you need it and I can find it I will be happy to send it to you.
My speedo went out several months ago, I replaced the cable and it worked for about 2 weeks and then went out again, after that I said screw it! I don't know how fast I'm going nor do I know how far I have been but I'm cool with it. If I really need to know my speed, I'll get a GPS and mount on it.

The cable itself was snapped off from the housing where it goes into the sensor on the wheel. The inner cable was also pulled from the protective covering amd stretched out. I'll need to replace the cable and the end part that plugs into the wheel.

MedicMike

Postby MedicMike » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:58 am

virgilmobile wrote:Your seizing left front caliper is caused by a plugged bleeder hole in the hand brake master cylinder.

Remove the reservoir and clear the SMALL hole just in front of the main feed hole.

This is a "MUST DO"

Thanks Virgil. I'll do that and rebuild both front calipers as well. I figure that they haven't been touched since the bike was built.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:26 am

The reason I mentioned it is I had the same problem with my brake.
I've got the same bike.I fully rebuilt it front to back,including the engine.
So if you have any questions,I've 'been there,done that',knee deep,grease to my elbows and plenty of hours.
The most difficult areas I had to deal with were..
1.forks sticking ..6 hour rebuild
2.dead battery..electrical repairs and modifications.
3.getting the brakes to work...complete teardown and clean
4.syncing the carbs..not the work,getting the gauges accurate.

The engine rebuild was straight forward,about 12 hours,It had very low and uneven compression and leaking bearing seals in the water pump.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:26 pm

MedicMike wrote:The cable itself was snapped off from the housing where it goes into the sensor on the wheel. The inner cable was also pulled from the protective covering amd stretched out. I'll need to replace the cable and the end part that plugs into the wheel.

It's a really simple thing to do. Make sure the new cable is routed exactly the same way as the old one. There's a philips screw on the hub that, when loosened, lets the old cable pull out, and the speedo end just unscrews. Put the new cable in, tighten the speedo end, tighten the screw on the hub, and you're good to go. Be careful when putting the core of the cable into the hub and the speedo, don't force it - it should slide in gently. If not, turn it a bit and try again.

You might want to lubricate the cable before installing it. I spray mine with graphite lubricant before putting it in place.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”