1983 GoldWing 1100A

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
micbery
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing GL 1100A Aspencade

1983 GoldWing 1100A

Postby micbery » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:56 pm

Hello,

New to the forum, but thank you all for being here. I just bought the old girl, and overall she is in pretty good shape. A couple issues with the bike is at an ideal, it sounds for lack of better words, rough, like the heads have to much noise going on. Although it ideals on its own quite fine, (not 900 as suggested in some threads, more like 1100) once moving it seems to clear itself up. After reading different threats, its possible the carbs or not synced and will be following suggestions. One concern is finding four vacum gauges that read the same, Im thinking one gauge with four on-off switches?

Also, head bolt torque, would anyone have an idea what that number should be? Would like to be certain no problems there.Timing belt inspection, if there are problems in this department, would it be clearly visible? Anything I should know before removing its cover?

And finally, heres the kicker. The fellow I brought the bike off of had passed, so in wanting to give it an oil change, his partner knows very little about the bike. My concern is if synthetic oil was use, or regular oil? Is there away to determine? Hate to through regular on top of synthetic.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1983 GoldWing 1100A

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:48 pm

micbery wrote:New to the forum, but thank you all for being here. I just bought the old girl, and overall she is in pretty good shape. A couple issues with the bike is at an ideal, it sounds for lack of better words, rough, like the heads have to much noise going on. Although it ideals on its own quite fine, (not 900 as suggested in some threads, more like 1100) once moving it seems to clear itself up. After reading different threats, its possible the carbs or not synced and will be following suggestions. One concern is finding four vacum gauges that read the same, Im thinking one gauge with four on-off switches?

The first time I did it with four gauges, and it was a bit of a pain in the butt trying to remember the calibration differences between the gauges. The next time I did it, I just used a single gauge, with four aquarium valves to select which carb was feeding the gauge. Much easier!

micbery wrote:Also, head bolt torque, would anyone have an idea what that number should be? Would like to be certain no problems there.Timing belt inspection, if there are problems in this department, would it be clearly visible? Anything I should know before removing its cover?

Head bolt? Are you planning on removing the heads? Or are you talking about valve covers?

Timing belt inspection can't be done. There's nothing to inspect. The belts on these bikes are designed not to stretch, and they do not crack or show other kinds of wear. Belts that are on the verge of failure can look exactly the same as new belts that will go for another 50,000 miles. If a belt breaks, you will have major engine damage...so if you don't know the last time the belts were changed, the time to do them is now.

micbery wrote:And finally, heres the kicker. The fellow I brought the bike off of had passed, so in wanting to give it an oil change, his partner knows very little about the bike. My concern is if synthetic oil was use, or regular oil? Is there away to determine? Hate to through regular on top of synthetic.

Don't worry about it. These bikes were designed to work on 1970's-era dino oil. They'll work very well with anything you care to put into them, as long as it doesn't have friction modifiers (make sure the oil does not say "energy conserving" on it). Some people claim the clutch is actually happier with regular oil rather than synthetic - I wouldn't know, because I've never used anything but relatively cheap Valvoline motorcycle oil in mine, and it's always worked extremely well.

micbery

Postby micbery » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Makes sense with the carb syncing ... one gauge ... I will follow through with it. And the oil type is of no concern, that takes a load off. I was under the impression once synth, must remain synth. As for the head bolt torque, my mistake, yes the value cover torque would make better sense. As with the belts, I have watched your step-by-step thread on replacement, thank you for that, I best watch it once more as I do not know when they were changed last.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:37 am

I also found gauge readings inaccurate,but found it easier to sync a pair at a time.
I resolved the gauge reading issue by re-marking the dial for the same readings.the numbers were not important , just identical readings.

Here's a pix to show what I did.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:05 am

micbery wrote:Makes sense with the carb syncing ... one gauge ... I will follow through with it. And the oil type is of no concern, that takes a load off. I was under the impression once synth, must remain synth. As for the head bolt torque, my mistake, yes the value cover torque would make better sense. As with the belts, I have watched your step-by-step thread on replacement, thank you for that, I best watch it once more as I do not know when they were changed last.

Valve covers are 8 ft-lbs. Have a look at How to adjust your valve clearances

micbery

Postby micbery » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Thank you kindly, your contribution to this website is with certain a value. Your how to articles are fantastic. I hate to park the old girl in this fine sunshine, but I think I might none the less. And replace the timing belts, confirm value clearance, perform a carb sync, change the oil.

Well, maybe one more trek.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”