Rear Brake Swing Arm Rubs Sidewall of Rear Tire

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
thefrontsight
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate

Rear Brake Swing Arm Rubs Sidewall of Rear Tire

Postby thefrontsight » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:07 am

A few days ago, I had an epic ride! Fantastic! Wind, Rivers, Beautiful trees etc.....I wanna get back on the bike! Please help.

As I rode home, I felt metal on metal coming from the rear brake. Ok I thought, so the rear brake needs to be rebuilt. I can do that. Well, When I bent down to take a better look.... This is what i saw.....

I looked a little further and saw

rear brake swing arm rubbing the left sidewall of the rear tire
rear brake swing arm rubbing the left sidewall of the rear tire

:o

my first thought was that the swing arm attachment behind the battery box came loose.....after checking that....it was solid and had not moved at all.

so i looked at the brake problem.....this is what i saw

as you can see, the brake caliper, pads and maybe rotor are cooked....and clearly need to be rebuilt.....after spending some time poking around looking for a probable solution, i read about the spacer mixup that may have been the issue......

After removing the rear wheel, I looked and saw that the larger of the two spacers was closer to the hub and the smaller was closer to the swing arm. :?:

here is another view just for clarification.....

please help....the rubbing on the sidewall of the rear tire is new....could this be because the rear brake is so badly worn? This seems unlikely to me because the tolerances for this would be so close.....the brake swing arm does not appear bent. ugh....im at a loss.....

Michael

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Rear Brake Swing Arm Rubs Sidewall of Rear Tire

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:35 am

At first glance, your brake pads are shot,thin as paper and is the reason for the chewed up rotors. I am not sure about the spacers but will look at mine tomorrow(Sat),and get back to you.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:34 pm

Ok ,I just came in from laying under my bike to see if I could shed some light on your problem. Your spacers look to be in the proper location. heres a pic of mine so you can compare
The only other things that comes to mind are
1. loose axel nut
2.loose nut/bolt on either end of the brake anchor arm
3. loose /worn swingarm bearings
4.worn wheel wheel bearings

I know its not what you wanted to hear but at least its a place to start looking.
Ride safe, Todd

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:11 am

Are you running the correct size tire? Rubbing is usually caused by putting a wider tire on the bike, the photo is just missing the tire size info..

Gary

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:14 pm

thrasherg wrote:Are you running the correct size tire? Rubbing is usually caused by putting a wider tire on the bike, the photo is just missing the tire size info..

Gary

I read his tire to be the correct size 140/90-16 , half of the 4 is cut off in the picture but it is definately a 4.

Is there any other info that you can give us that might help to narrow down the problem?
Did you do anything new to the bike since your last ride? like did you put on a new tire, removed the wheel for any reason?
Is the rub mark even all the way around?
Ride safe, Todd

thefrontsight

Postby thefrontsight » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:00 pm

I purchased the bike in early may from a motorcycle shop. I told them to put a new rear tire on it and so day one for me was day one on the tire. Ive put almost 5000 miles since may on the bike and really there have been no problems, tire rubbing, or brake squeeling until now. This leads me to believe that there is a really close tolerance between the pads and rotor being worn out and the swing arm beginning to rub. The rubbing on the sidewall is all the way around the tire and it seems to be a new development, along with the metal on metal that the brake is doing.

How close is your rear brake swing arm to the tire?

Yes my tire size is correct.
Thanks for your help!
Michael

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Put it on the centre stand and confirm that the rear wheel is fixed in location. If this is new something has shifted. The brake pads did not cause of the tire rub.

eklimek
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 (Widowmaker not in service), 83GL1100, CB350f x 6, CB400f x2, CB550f sold, CL350 (seized engine), plus enough donors to take me through retirement.

Postby eklimek » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Your second photo suggests the muffler butts the left side axle. Has the axle shifted to the left?

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Ok now I am starting to get upset with you,after laying under my bike for the second day in a row trying to see what could be wrong with yours, and poking my hands and fingers here and there I realized that the underside of my bike is filthy. Thanks alot, now I have to clean it. This is all your fault. ;)

By the way ,there should be about 3/8" clearance from the brake anchor arm to the tire. On mine those little rubber **** on the tire just sweep the anchor arm. How much space do you have on the other side to the swing arm/drive shaft tube? should be about 1/4"maybe a fat 1/4".

Give us a pic of the other side if you can.
When you tighten the axel nut ,leave the pinch bolt on the left side a little loose. Use a large screw driver in the hole of the axle to prevent it from turning. Once you have the proper torque on the nut tighten the pinch bolt. there should be NO lateral movement of the wheel assembly or of the swing arm. Good luck I know you will find it,just keep looking for something thats out of place or loose.

Ride safe, Todd
Ride safe, Todd

thefrontsight

Postby thefrontsight » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:34 pm

SOLUTION!!!

Okay after much hardship and stress about this, I discovered several things. The bushings on the axle on the left side of the motorcycle can really only go in one way. The reason is that the larger bushing is recessed for the head of the axle which passes through the pinch bolt on the swing arm and rests within this bushing. The smaller of these bushings does not have this recess and therefore will not allow the axle to completely seat! (id hate to find that out the hard way)

Secondly, My pads, like you said, were shot, so was my rotor. After replacing the pads, rotor and bleeding everything, the swing arm for the rear brake shifted away from the sidewall again to about 1/4 -3/8" away from it. This provides plenty of clearance for the tire and removes the threat of a sidewall rupture.

Thirdly, I learned that the rear drive, as posted here on the doc's, has a pressure release valve on top of the final drive. After reassembly, I went for a long hard ride. I rode longer and faster than I normally do. The bike had been garaged for over a month...can you blame me? Anyway, I saw about 3/4 of the way through the ride, oil around the perimeter of the right side of the rear wheel. Naturally I assumed that in the RnR that I had destroyed a seal or installed it improperly. Fortunately I read a little here, drained the fluid and filled it with the proper quantity of gear oil. WHEW what a relief!

Looks like its raining.....Happy day for a ride!
Michael

1982gl1100
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard

Postby 1982gl1100 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Very timely , and thanks for figuring this out guys. Two weeks ago I went for a ride up in Vermont and came back to find the torque rod began rubbing the left side of my rear tire during the trip.

Am I correct in reading what you found to mean that it is a result of my rear pads wearing down?

Thanks guys,
Bill

penntoy123
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby penntoy123 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:17 pm

I am having the same problem, so I went to remove the rear wheel to explore the further and discovered I could remove the right bearing with two fingers. The bearing was rotating within the wheel. I am waiting now for the replacement wheel to see if this fixes the problem. It's a used wheel and I'll need to check the bearing before I put a new tire on it. Hopefully this fixes it.

thefrontsight

Postby thefrontsight » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:59 pm

1982gl1100 wrote:Very timely , and thanks for figuring this out guys. Two weeks ago I went for a ride up in Vermont and came back to find the torque rod began rubbing the left side of my rear tire during the trip.

Am I correct in reading what you found to mean that it is a result of my rear pads wearing down?

Thanks guys,
Bill

It seems to me that there are many ways in which this problem can show up. In my case, the problem was a severely worn rotor and severely worn pads. It is likely that this problem could be the result of wheel bearings, swing arm bearings or something else. I had decided though that if my tire was rubbing on the brake swing arm after the repairs, that i was going to solve the problem by moving, grinding and remounting the swing arm.

Michael

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”