'81 1100I engine rebuild

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
ritewing9
Motorcycle: 1981 gl500 silverwing interstate,1982 gl1100 goldwing interstate

'81 1100I engine rebuild

Postby ritewing9 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:15 pm

Just got this bike a week or so ago. Can't get it to budge. So, I guess I am gonna have to pull engine to get everything loosened up. And see why it is seized up. Waiting for a service manual now. Just hope it is a neglect type of thing, and all might clean up pretty good.
But, I have no history on this bike at all. She's a mess right now , but hope to get her purring again. I will probably be looking for some wisdom and advice as I tear her down. Would greatly appreciate any help! Thanks,,,,,Jim

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: '81 1100I engine rebuild

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:34 am

ritewing9 wrote:Just got this bike a week or so ago. Can't get it to budge. So, I guess I am gonna have to pull engine to get everything loosened up. And see why it is seized up. Waiting for a service manual now. Just hope it is a neglect type of thing, and all might clean up pretty good.
But, I have no history on this bike at all. She's a mess right now , but hope to get her purring again. I will probably be looking for some wisdom and advice as I tear her down. Would greatly appreciate any help! Thanks,,,,,Jim

Before you go pulling the engine, try removing the spark plugs and turning the engine over by hand (see steps 1, 2 and 8 on How to adjust your valve clearances for information on how to do this). If the carb float valves are leaking, it can leak fuel into the cylinders, causing hydro lock. Removing the plugs allows the fuel to get out, and frees the engine.

If this doesn't work, pour some Marvel Mystery Oil, Seafoam, or if you can't find either of those, kerosene/diesel/jet fuel into the plug holes. Let it sit overnight and try to turn it again (by hand) to see if it loosens up.

ritewing9

Postby ritewing9 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:34 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
ritewing9 wrote:Just got this bike a week or so ago. Can't get it to budge. So, I guess I am gonna have to pull engine to get everything loosened up. And see why it is seized up. Waiting for a service manual now. Just hope it is a neglect type of thing, and all might clean up pretty good.

Before you go pulling the engine, try removing the spark plugs and turning the engine over by hand (see steps 1, 2 and 8 on How to adjust your valve clearances for information on how to do this). If the carb float valves are leaking, it can leak fuel into the cylinders, causing hydro lock. Removing the plugs allows the fuel to get out, and frees the engine.

If this doesn't work, pour some Marvel Mystery Oil, Seafoam, or if you can't find either of those, kerosene/diesel/jet fuel into the plug holes. Let it sit overnight and try to turn it again (by hand) to see if it loosens up.

Heads were off the bike when I got it. I tried some blaster in the cylinders, and then some ATF, turning bike on its side and letting it soak a couple days...still nothing.
At a last resort now, to just pull the engine and take it down and remove pistons and hone cylinders and get new rings, and whatever else seems to be wrong. Thanks for the advice though. Jim

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:43 am

Please remember that the engine weighs around 105 kilos so its extremely heavy. You will need a trolly jack on wheels and a very strong friend to man handle it after removal of engine from the frame. Amongst other tools such as the clutch centre nut fancy socket spanner ( the GL1000 one is different from the G1100 one) you will need a 90 degrees expanding circlip pliers to remove the transmission circlip close to the engine. its a bit of a pest to get at!
I would not buy any parts until you have very close inspection and be very careful in labeling the pistons upon removal for example the right hand big end shells have no oil holes and the left hand side does. Use the maintenace manual as bed time reading before you tackle removal and strip down! As they say fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Good luck

ritewing9

Postby ritewing9 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:38 pm

moffat wrote:Please remember that the engine weighs around 105 kilos so its extremely heavy. You will need a trolly jack on wheels and a very strong friend to man handle it after removal of engine from the frame. Amongst other tools such as the clutch centre nut fancy socket spanner ( the GL1000 one is different from the G1100 one) you will need a 90 degrees expanding circlip pliers to remove the transmission circlip close to the engine. its a bit of a pest to get at!
I would not buy any parts until you have very close inspection and be very careful in labeling the pistons upon removal for example the right hand big end shells have no oil holes and the left hand side does. Use the maintenace manual as bed time reading before you tackle removal and strip down! As they say fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Good luck

Thanks for the advice Moffat, I will take it slow and read up a bit before attempting to pull the engine. :roll:

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”