1981 GL1100 Interstate electrical issue(s)

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I Interstate

1981 GL1100 Interstate electrical issue(s)

Postby 1981GL1100 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:54 pm

So, I recently traded my 1980 CB900 Custom for a 1981 GL1100 (that was advertised as a "naked wing"). The PO later informed me that it was in fact an Interstate model, and thus had the Hondaline fairing and luggage included. After some thought, I decided to put all the "clothes" back on. I downloaded the fairing install manual here, as well as the wiring schematic. But, I am left with 3 wires that I have no idea what to do with. One is solid brown, one brown with a white stripe and one green. All 3 are female ends covered in the protective plastic housings. The fairing is back on, but now I am having intermittent electrical issues. 1.) The headlight sometimes cuts out (both low and high beam). 2.) The lights on my gauge cluster for high beam, oil and neutral sometimes don't function. 3.) My fuel gauge sometimes cuts out and just reads empty even though it is definitely not. I know these are all electrically related (and probably stemming from the unused wires I can't figure out). Any ideas?

Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate
1969 Bsa Lightning

Re: 1981 GL1100 Interstate electrical issue(s)

Postby sperryunivac » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:42 pm

If these are the wires that go into the fairing L.H pocket, they are there for future use (I think). Check the wiring diagram and you will see these just abovee the left front turn signal/position light. I have these in my fairing also and they are not connected.
The other issues you are having could be poor grounding for the cluster or possible dirty contacts at the connector that plugs into the fairing.
Try jiggeling the wires and see if the headlight goes on ands off to find where the poor connection is.
I hope this helps.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”