Vetter Headlight

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bcnv1100
Motorcycle: 1981 1100 Goldwing

Vetter Headlight

Postby bcnv1100 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:40 pm

I have a 81 1100 with the Windjammer Fairing. I want to completly remove the fairing. The mounting brackets for the headlight are still on the forks but i'm wondering if i can take the vetter headlight out of the Vetter fairing and mount it to the brackets. Anybody know???

shehawken
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Re: Vetter Headlight

Postby shehawken » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:23 pm

I had to remove the vetter fairing from my GL1100 (well, what was left after the deer) and I just ended up going to a parts dealer and picking up a used headlight. The only not fun part was trying to read the wiring diagram and match it up to the wiring harness.

Also, in order to install the fairing, they shear off the mounts for the front turn signals so that will have to be addressed, too.

bcnv1100
Motorcycle: 1981 1100 Goldwing

Postby bcnv1100 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:52 am

Did the new headlight have the back dome part to tuck all the wiring into? I to the false tank off this weekend to paint it and couldn't get it back on without taking off the vetter fairing, it blocked the bolts to the false tank and i couldnt line them up to get back on. Anyways did yours have the big bracket welded on to mount the vetter guessing i'll have to grind that off. The brackets for the headlight are still there but didn't notice anything for the turnsignals have to look again.

shehawken
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Postby shehawken » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:24 pm

I'm trying to think... When I took off the fairing, I left it off. The bike didn't have the headlight casing, just the mounting points (kind of a matched set of brackets) so I went to a parts dealer and bought an old Honda round headlight. The turn signal brackets used to be on the fork tubes below the level of the headlight.

As for the mounting bracket (H-shaped metal bracket), mine was held on to the bike with a series of the screw-threaded hose clamps so I took them off and worked the bracket out from in between the radiator and the front forks.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”