1100 running rich

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
theiggy
Motorcycle: 1980 goldwing 1100

1100 running rich

Postby theiggy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:03 pm

My 1980 is running rich and I am thinking it may be just an issue of setting the carb? Any ideas?

PAPete
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200-A
1982 GL1100-I

Re: 1100 running rich

Postby PAPete » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:14 pm

What symptoms have you observed? IOW, how do you know it's running rich? Have you done any tests yet? What model is it, Interstate, Aspencade, Standard? How many miles on the bike? Is it new to you, or do you have a history with it? How many miles on the sparkplugs? Have you checked them yet? Have you checked the air filter? Has the bike been sitting or run regularly? Please give the gurus -- I'm not one of them --more information, and you'll get answers.
Pete
82 GL1100-I
85 GL 1200-A

theiggy
Motorcycle: 1980 goldwing 1100

Postby theiggy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:52 am

It is an 1980 interstate with 82 000 km on it (50 000 miles) so I was told..... It burns a little oil,about 1 quart every 1000+ km and it "smells rich" when it is running down the hwy. Started the occasional backfire as well. The plugs where supposedly changed about 10000 km ago (6000 miles) and last year I did a water pump and had work done on the one side because the compression was low. The mechanic did not want to do both sides as he said it was not required. I burn high octane fuel in it. Starts good and otherwise runs good.

Thanks
Eric

PAPete
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200-A
1982 GL1100-I

Postby PAPete » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:03 pm

theiggy wrote:It is an 1980 interstate with 82 000 km on it (50 000 miles) so I was told..... It burns a little oil,about 1 quart every 1000+ km and it "smells rich" when it is running down the hwy. Started the occasional backfire as well. The plugs where supposedly changed about 10000 km ago (6000 miles) and last year I did a water pump and had work done on the one side because the compression was low. The mechanic did not want to do both sides as he said it was not required. I burn high octane fuel in it. Starts good and otherwise runs good.

Thanks
Eric

Well, as I said, I'm not as experienced as many on this board, and hopefully, one of them will be along soon to give you their opinion, which should take precedence over mine. But here goes:

On the forums I watch, the concensus of opinion seems to be that when you buy a used bike you should first change the timing belts unless you are absolutely certain they are fairly new -- certain, as in copy of the receipt. Belt breaks, rod bends, big time expense.

You should also change all the fluids, lubricate everything that requires it, including packing the splines in the final drive.

Your bike was designed to run well on 87 octane fuel, so premium gas is (in general) considered a waste of money. It has additives in it that can actually create problems in the carburetors. It would be a good idea to remove the plugs and look at them. There are many useful How-To articles on this site and one of them explains how to read the plugs.

One quart of oil every 650 miles is a LOT of oil. Do you notice smoke coming out the exhaust? Could be rings, or it could be leaking. Do you notice spots on the ground after it's been sitting. Have you checked under the bike for oil on the underside? Unless you consistently ride in very warm or very cold weather, you should be running 10W-40 oil (standard or synthetic) with NO friction modifiers. There could be other causes for burning so much oil, which more knowledgeable people than I will probably mention.

Do you know what the compression readings were? On a new engine they should be around 170 psi. On older engines they should be about 142 psi (if memory serves), but more important is that they should be within, I think, 14 psi of each other. Someone will correct this if I'm wrong.

Backfiring could be carburetion problems or air cutoff valves malfunctioning if it's backfiring on deceleration. In either case, I would suggest reading up on carb cleaning, then DIY if you're mechanically inclined, and check the air cutoff valves and replacing any worn or damaged parts. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps and that others will be along to add to it. Good luck.

Pete
82 GL1100-I
85 GL 1200-A

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”