question about goldwing snorkel system

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 aspencade

question about goldwing snorkel system

Postby noelcassidy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:17 am

I bought a 1983 Goldwing for $150.00 complete. It had sat for 10 years in a shed and the shed eventually fell in on it causing some minor cosmetic damage. I told myself if I could get the bike running and depending on how it ran, I would either part it out, or restore it. I removed the carbs and cleaned them, reinstalled and the bike fired up and smoked like an old sailor. I had loaded the cylinders up with PB Blaster so I changed the oil, started it up and the longer it ran the better it got. SO, it is now in the restoration process. The bike came with the Goldwing Snorkel system, which I figured out was for pumping up the air suspension, and also possibly for pumping up a tire if needed. I have 2 questions.
1 - Are parts available for these snorkels?
2 - Are they worth hooking back up?
I checked the pump, it runs fine, the gauges seem to be okay, there are 2 lines that were cut, one going to the front forks the other too the rear forks. I have 1 long line that was in a small bag that came with the bike and it plugs into the outlet on the fairing dash panel. I assume it is for pumping up the tires, but there are no tire valve endings to attach to the valve stem.
This bike has only 20,000 miles on it. It smokes a little on start-up but cleans out after running a bit. I assume the valve guides may be leaking into the cylinders when it sits. Appreciate any comments, thanks.

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Re: question about goldwing snorkel system

Postby CapnDenny1 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:32 pm

Can't go wrong for $150. I never heard of a snorkle system? Isn't that just the on board compressor for the front and rear suspension? Just about everything for these bike sis avaialable on ebay and the various MC salvage yards on there.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”