bike dies switching from main to reserve tank

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
drmichael@excite.com
Motorcycle: 1981 Gold Wing GL1100

bike dies switching from main to reserve tank

Postby drmichael@excite.com » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi,
Again, many thanks to all who have helped me get my bike up and running. Right now it runs great-really great except that when the gas runs out of the main tank and the engine starts to die, switching to the reserve tank seems to cause the bike to not get any gas and die. If that was all, I might be able to mangage it, but even when I have filled the tank immediately after it dies and switch back to the main tank, it does not want to start. Once I get it started and running, it runs great-until the main tank reaches its limit and I have to switch over again.

Fuel pump, gas cap? I have had the carbs and tank cleaned, have changed the filters. One thing I have noticed is that when I shut off the bike, air flows backward from the fuel pump through the filters. It's done that since I got the bike last year. I thought that was normal, but as I have read some posts, perhaps it's not.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: bike dies switching from main to reserve tank

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Most likely it's just sludge or other material blocking the reserve sump in your tank.

There is no actual "reserve" tank separate from the main tank - there are just two sumps (fuel drains) in the tank, the main is higher up than the reserve. When the fuel level gets down to the point where the main sump can no longer draw any fuel, the engine will die from fuel starvation. Switching to reserve then causes the engine to draw from the reserve sump, which is lower than the main sump. This allows you to drain (most) of the remaining fuel.

However, because the reserve sump is lower in the tank, and because normally it is rarely used, sediment and sludge tend to collect there, and can block it.

So what happens is, you run out of gas on the main sump. You switch to reserve, but no fuel flows, so the carburetor bowls and fuel system are emptied of remaining fuel, and the engine stops.

You then refill the tank and switch it back to main. You crank the engine, but there is no fuel sitting in the carburetor bowls to instantly start the engine up like normal, because they were drained when you ran out of fuel. Because the fuel pump is engine driven, it takes a bit of cranking for the fuel pump to start pumping fuel through the filter and the fuel system, filling up the carburetor bowls to the point where they will start feeding fuel to the engine, and it starts once again.

drmichael@excite.com

Postby drmichael@excite.com » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks for the info. It makes sense. I hate to think that after thoroughly cleaning the tank, it now has sludge in it.
If I switch to the reserve setting when there is still a lot of gas in it, it will run ok. It's when the transition from one setting running dry and going to the reserve setting that the problem happens. Could it still have the problem you described?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:16 am

More likely when you switch while it's still got gas you are running off the bowls you can run for up to a 2 miles on the bowls with no gas coming from the tank..you could try cleaning out the reserve tube by taking off the petcock and running a wire or speedo cable up the tube to the end. You can see the reserve pick up if you look into the tank from the fuel sense hole..you should be able to tell if the screen is clogged..compressed air to blow it off from the petcock tube works too.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

drmichael@excite.com

Postby drmichael@excite.com » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:05 am

Thanks-sounds simple enough. I'll give that a shot.

miroku800
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100I (Now gone)
2006 GL1800

Postby miroku800 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:32 pm

just a silly thought

you are turning the fuel tap to the correct setting aren't you?

horizontal forwards for off, lever pointing down for on and lever pointing up for reserve

the actual indicator for the direction is on the bend of the lever not the lever itself

hopr this might help

drmichael@excite.com

Postby drmichael@excite.com » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:10 pm

Yes, I think I am. I drained the tank and both settings seemed to work. I also blasted both lines with air and they seem clear. I'm waiting for the weather to break to take it for a good run and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”