Head gasket blown?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Head gasket blown?

Postby egardner1970 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Ok. Here's the details: New to my stable is a 1981 GL1100. Compression tests dry/wet are #1 150/165, #2 160/170, #3 125/140, #4 150/160. The bike will not idle without full choke even after its warm. With full choke, throttle response is crisp but idle speed surges. Without choke, it lugs off idle trying to get to the mid-range circuit. It's blowing HEAVY white smoke from the left tailpipe. There is heavy moisture on the ground at the left pipe after running for a few minutes. It doesn't smell of heavy fuel though. I do NOT see bubbles in the radiator neck and I'm not using coolant although I have not put hardly any miles on it but have run it in the driveway a lot trying to see if Seafoam would help clear anything up. There is fuel in oil. I do not see oil in the coolant. I'm puzzled about the white smoke but no bubbles in the filler. Oil does not appear to have coolant in it but it smells of gas and is over the full line. So, do I have a blown head gasket and sticking floats or something else? Helpful advice is much appreciated in advance!! :)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”