battery drain and non working speedometer

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
two slow

battery drain and non working speedometer

Postby two slow » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:42 am

I just got an 83 aspencade. I haven't even ridden it yet. The headlight wouldn't come on and I was told that the dash drains the battery after a couple days, if you don't keep it on a trickle charger. It started ok, maybe cranked a little slow, I'm not sure though this is the first time being around one of these. It seems to be charging while running. The previous owner said after riding it for a mile or two it would come on when the battery would be fully charged. The battery was new toward the end of last season. I'm going to get a charger today. This just worried me a little. Any thoughts on this? Is this common?
Also the digital speedometer and odometer doesn't work. The odometer quit at around 22,000 miles. I was told it only has around 30,000. It seems to run good, sokes a little at startup but quits after a short time. I have search the net some on speedo problem and it looks like maybe the speed sensor, possibly a common problem, is bad. Its not easy finding one on the net, but I think I have found it. is this it? http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_select.asp?mfg=Honda&partnumber=+37700-MB9-951
Also what all should I check out on this. I want it to be a reliable ride for a couple long trips later this summer.
What spare parts should I keep on hand?
I didn't mean to write an essay. Thanks in advance,
Darrell

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: battery drain and non working speedometer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:22 pm

It shouldn't drain down after a couple of days...if it is, there's something not right. That said, if the battery was just a bit down, the PO is right about it coming right back up after a mile or two. It will NOT charge just by idling - in fact, idling will draw down the battery instead of charging it. You need to be up around 2,000 RPM or so before it starts to charge.

As for the speedo/odometer problem - I would guess the same as you: speed sensor. You might find a used one on eBay cheaper - but before you buy one, check first to make sure it's bad!

Pull the sensor off the gearbox on the wheel, and use a very small flat screwdriver to turn it. As you turn it, the speedometer should show a value. If it doesn't - it's the sensor. If it does, then it's likely the gearbox.

The gearbox is the part sitting on the wheel.

two slow

Postby two slow » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:18 pm

Found the problem with the headlight. It was just a fuse. I'm not sure if it is charging yet though. I went out the next day to start it and it cranked slow and then just stopped. I bought a trickle charger and put it on for a few hours and it started fine then.
But after riding it out of the garage to the driveway I shut off the engine and the starter whined. Like it was still engaged. It did this a few times in a row. i ended up riding it down the road and back and it didn't do it again.
I'll see if I can figure out how to take the sensor off later tonight.
Thanks for the tip about the gear box.
I'm thinking about picking up a parts bike, Does it have to be an 83 or will something close be ok?

two slow

Postby two slow » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:55 am

I pulled the sensor and it was full of milky oil. I couldn't get the entire sensor because the rotor cover that is on this is in the way. I'll have to get a jack to take the wheel off to be able to check it out with a screw driver.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:51 am

Can you turn the sensor with a screwdriver, to see if it shows up on the speedometer?

I've had the starter hang up on me like that with a low battery. As long as it's disengaged now, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for a parts bike...there are some pretty significant differences between the 83 and all the other GL1100's - if you were looking to do that, I'd make sure it was an 83. 83's have different footpegs (including adjustable passenger ones), different wheels, the suspension controls are moved, it has linked brakes, the LCD dash, the choke lever is in a different place, it has TRAC anti-dive and different forks and springs, different gearing, different seat, different turn signal cancelers, different trunk...lots of changes, enough that I'd go for an 83 if I were making that decision.

That said...I have the following spare parts hanging around my garage for my bike:

- Complete engine
- Full exhaust system
- Rear final drive
- Seat
- bunch of other parts I can't remember at the moment

And you know how many of them I've used in the past 4 years I've had this bike? None. It's reliable, nothing breaks, and with regular maintenance, I never have any problems! That's typical for these bikes. So you might be better off just replacing what doesn't work now with Internet-sourced parts, and keeping up the rest with regular maintenance.

two slow

Postby two slow » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:25 pm

I can't get the sensor housing off, just the sensor its self. There is 4 phillips head bolts that hold the cover on. It smelled a little fried. I don't see how though it looks to be sealed well.
If I can figure out a way to get the front tire off the ground I may be able to see if the magnet turns.
What about newer forks and rear shocks? My right fork tube is leaking some and I thought about upgrading them.
Last edited by two slow on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

two slow

Postby two slow » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:58 pm

I got the front tire off the ground and rotated the tire. The little round magnet, I think its a magnet anyway, spun so I would assume the gear box is fine.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:37 am

Right. Then the next step is to rotate the shaft in the cable that connects to the speedometer (with a small screwdriver) and see if it shows up on the speedometer.

two slow

Postby two slow » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:26 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Right. Then the next step is to rotate the shaft in the cable that connects to the speedometer (with a small screwdriver) and see if it shows up on the speedometer.

I'm having trouble finding a cable that connects to the speedometer.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:50 pm

It's not a regular mechanical cable, it's just a sensor that detaches from the gearbox on the wheel. When that sensor is turned, it generates electrical pulses that the digital speedometer reads and interprets as speed.

two slow

Postby two slow » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:04 am

So what do I unhook and use the screwdriver on? the sensor housing or is there something at the speedometer?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:28 pm

It's the actual sensor, that disconnects from the gearbox on the wheel hub. Inside that sensor is a small shaft that is turned by the gearbox. You should be able to turn that shaft with a small flat screwdriver.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”