One side is hot the other is not

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dogdoggybob
Motorcycle: 1983 gl 1100 I runner
78 naked project
80 naked project

One side is hot the other is not

Postby dogdoggybob » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Got an 83 interstate I am working on bringing back to life.

I rebuilt the carbs. synched/working good. Coils check out fine. Running on all 4 cylinders.

the part that concerns me is the right side exhaust and therefore cylinders/heads are getting much hotter than the left side.

Rt side exhaust after running for a few minutes I can touch the left not. It does feel like there is less push out the left side exhaust too.

Fuel is getting there. ostensibly a spark. Don't know if it is a weak case of each or both

the right side exhaust is getting that tell tale heat discoloration too.

At the moment I am suspecting carbs - only cause I had a 78 with rebuilt carbs that did the same thing only a lot less.

Truth is as shultze would say "I know na-think" Any troubleshooting/test ideas?

Any ideas?

thanks

ltd76gold
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 LTD

Re: One side is hot the other is not

Postby ltd76gold » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Do you have results from a compression check?

tazzmann1952
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Postby tazzmann1952 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:35 am

I had one bike in the shop with a similar problem and found a plugged exhaust by a field mouse !

ernest62
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby ernest62 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:40 am

Could be the side that is getting hotter is running lean. Maybe adjusting the fuel/air screw would richen it up on that side.

dogdoggybob
78 naked project
80 naked project

Postby dogdoggybob » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:09 am

I doubt the exhaust is plugged, but I have another I can change out for that side. not looking forward to doing that just yet.

compression 120 130 120 100 respectively. plugs out throttle wide open. they don't look good to me - my 78 had 160 all the way around.

this is a swap out motor with supposedly 17k on it.

adjusting the airmix screw isn't that just at idle? 3 turns out on all 4

rebuilt the carbs twice when I had the last motor in it.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 am

just a thought I had, if the exhaust on the left isnt getting hot then it isnt running on all 4.No heat means no fire.Pull one plug wire on the right, will it still run? Did you accidently switch the plug wires on the left side? Go ahead and switch them now and start the engine, does it run better or worse. switch the plugs around too or install new ones, there has to be a simple reason you have no fire in two cyclinders. when you pull the plugs what do they look like?
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

dogdoggybob
78 naked project
80 naked project

Postby dogdoggybob » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:01 am

Hey RR,

I took out all the plugs and did the "lay it on the head and crank test"

They all tested the same. good spark or at least the same spark on all 4.

I think I have a carb issue. This is a replacement motor. 17k on it. If memory serves (and it may not) I had the same prob. on the last one, but much lower compression #'s.

I rebuilt these and have done a set before that worked great. As soon as I get over the fact that I have to pull these....not my favorite task, I am going to try another set. Barring that I am going to tear them down again and go through them again. I am getting fuel to both bowls.

Alternatively, the right side seems like it is getting very hot quick. both 1/3 evenly hot. too hot to touch after no more than a minute.

2 is warm almost hot by about half I'd say. 4 I could kiss it with my toungue!

I saw a 80 bike and an 83 parts bike on the local CL here. Thought about this for awhile.....at least the parts bike. If I had a set of known good carbs I would know for sure this is my prob.

I am a shadetree mechanic at best. I can kinda diagnose stuff. I like doing this to learn and solve the problem and get better at it. It is a mechanical zen thing. It works or it doesn't based on some pretty simple concepts. Its the minor/obscure details I have trouble with......

Thanks

Bob

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:38 pm

So its been several days since your last post on this subject,what have you discovered since then? Have you determined that you are getting fuel to each carb yet? undo the drain screw on the float bowls and see what comes out of each one.

keep us posted
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

dogdoggybob
78 naked project
80 naked project

Postby dogdoggybob » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:02 pm

Hey Roady,

Thanks for keeping tabs on me. How's things up there?

Well, the guys over at the other forum are putting up with me and my ongoing saga.

I had another set of carbs I got in the bike deal. Had a bad carb - float post broken off - so I replaced it with one from a parts rack and put that carb rack on the bike - just for Sts. and giggles.

Installed it synched it. Initially it ran better than the last set (which I ostensibly rebuilt). It has the same issue though not as pronounced. rt hot left cold.

So I at the bequest of my Gl Bros dropped the carb bowls to see how much gas was getting in there.
Kinda follows the symptoms. not too much in 1-3 like 1/2 a bowl - on the lean side - this I get.

But it was almost full - like down 1/4" from the rim on the rich side 2-4. But that side is way underpowered - no push out the exhaust. And from what I am told that is the correct level - go figure.

So the boys suggested I do a test of the gas level in the carbs by attaching clear tubing at the bowl drain screw pull it up the side of the carb tape it. Since the gas will seek it's own level I should be able to see which one fills up and which ones are lagging. I am in the process of doing that - just went to the hrdw. store and bought some tubing.

I think I kinda know the answer already but this will be definitive. Great then what? the lean side doesn't get enough gas - the rich too much/or not - what's causing this and how to remedy it? That is the question.

I am trying everything until I run out of options - then I may sell as is (don't want to) or try and find a running 1100 carb or rebuild another set I have.... So friggin time consuming/mental energy consuming it isn't even funny. I am obsessed.

It is a damn good thing the wife is in Brazil and there for another wk. I am way behind on my household duties. IF you know what I mean!

that is the story. Any and all input / support is appreciated. I am trying to take the ZEN view that it is a mech. object, there is a reason it isn't working - find the cause, fix it, move on to the next thing.

I need to get it resolved so I can sleep at nite !!

imfree
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Postby imfree » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:50 am

Check your air shut off valves.

dogdoggybob
78 naked project
80 naked project

Postby dogdoggybob » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:16 am

Well boys and girls.

I think I solved the problem - I bought a new one.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NOT! I was determined if it was the last thing I did. Thanks for the help.

I had two idle jets that were clogged up the middle. not the little holes on the side but the main one running up and down.

Thank G for the removeable idle jets on 82-83 carbs.

Now I just wanna ride my motorcyckle! and make it look purty too!

On to the next issue - new wires/coil and plug boots and the project bike i can never seem to get to.......

mk197523
Motorcycle: Ducati Multistrada 1200

Postby mk197523 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:16 am

I doubt the exhaust is plugged. Compression should be 120 130 120 100, respectively. Plug out throttle wide open.

dogdoggybob
78 naked project
80 naked project

Postby dogdoggybob » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:39 am

I'm with ya on the exhaust.

I think after I run it for awhile I am going to check it again. this motor has been sitting for a more than a few years.

thing is it is only supposed to have 17k on the clock.

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:48 am

Also check the valve clearances as if they are too tight the valves will not seat showing low compression. If you test the compression with the throttle wide open on a new machine the pressure should be 171 PSI.
If the valve clearances are correct, put a small amount of oil into the plug holes and test the comprssion again. If it goes up significantly then chances are the piston rings are defective.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”