Help! I have sprung a leak!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
stecker1100
Motorcycle: 1982 1100i

Help! I have sprung a leak!

Postby stecker1100 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:34 am

I have had two trouble free riding seasons with my '82 1100i (put on about 35,000 miles over the past two years and have about 90,000 total on the bike now).

This past weekend I notice a small (2" diamater) puddle under my bike, and upon closer inspection I discovered that there were several "spots" on the floor under where I typically park my bike that I had not noticed before. It looks like it is coolant coming from the water pump. At first I thought is was coming from the joint between the water pump and the main body of the engine. However after I cleaned it off I found that the coolant was coming from a small hole in the underside of the water pump housing.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have never noticed this hole, nor do I have any clue what it is for. It looks like a machined hole so I assume it is supposed to be there for some reason. So my question is, do I have a serious problem that requires a mechanic, should I plug the hole with a high-temp epoxy, or is it just one of those things with a high mileage 29 year old Wing???
Attachments

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Help! I have sprung a leak!

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:14 am

It is a drain hole.Do not plug it.It may drip coolant or engine oil or both.In either case , the water pump and 'O' rings needs to be rebuilt or replaced.The permanently sealed bearings are probably bad.Not a hard job,takes a couple of hours.
90k miles on a water pump is still good service.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:20 am

Don't plug it! That is the weep hole, to allow coolant or oil to escape should the seals in the water pump fail. If you plug it, the coolant will instead be forced into your crankcase oil instead of dripping out of the bike. You don't want that.

You need to have a look through this: How to remove and replace your water pump - it's everything you will need to know.

stecker1100

Postby stecker1100 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks for your help guys! I also posted this on the Saunders page and got similar responses. I checked out the link, but that is way over my skill level. So, I made an appointment with a mechanic that has experince working on old wings and has already done some minor work for me. Thanks again for the quick responses.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:26 am

Not hard and only taking bolts out and putting back in as they came out if you are installing a new pump and not rebuilding it..only tricky part is installing the o ring/pump w/o pinching the o ring..a little Vaseline makes it easier.

quick test is to take off the lower elbow that the lower hose is attached to only two bolts easy to get to...drain water then grab the impeller if you can move it side to side even slightly then the bearing are worn if it's solid..the o ring is bad but pump good...of course you have have the same install sequence whether you replace just o rings or the pump so most put a new pump anyway..most of 30 years old at this point..but it's the difference between $5 or $125 in parts..labor is the same.

Also you can ride for months/years with that little drip doesn't hurt the bike just watch you water level. Also note oil can drip out of there when the seal at the other end of the pump shaft starts to go..again you can ride for years w/o issue other than a drip where you park it. If the wobble gets really bad the impeller will scrap the housing and you'll hear it.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

stecker1100

Postby stecker1100 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks for your comments. You make is sound so much easier than the step-by-step instructions on this site make it look. I have over 50,000 miles on my timing belts, so I thought I would let the mechanic do all of this at once. I probably could figure it out and get it done, but I want to hedge on the cautious side. It will cost me a few hundred for the "professional" labor, but at least I know it will get done right. I don't have a full set of mechanics tools so when I do attempt this type of work I have to jerry rig stuff and sometimes make the situation worse...think Tim Allen's character for the show "Home Improvement". I can handle fuses, batteries, brakes, cables, hoses, wires and such but actual internal engine stuff still freaks me out.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”