aspencade engine covers

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
hallman
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100 aspencade

aspencade engine covers

Postby hallman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:33 am

I picked up an 81' aspencade for a sweet price (5 bills) that a fella had leaning against his garage. Said it was running condition when placed there two years before. Serious weather trashed. I stripped it down to frame, everything including locks, nuts, bolts,etc. I am at reassembly mode. I'm a perfectionist so nothing is getting overlooked. Wire harnesses, new paint (smoked haze on pearled aluminum, nice), brakes, Dunlop Elite II tires, Clarion sound system, lights, installed cruise and custom grips, etc, etc. It's been 2 more years on my restoration so I have 0 roadtime other than some starts and idle times. So now I have decided to go through the carbs & replace the timing belt. I have cut the seat foam 3" down and recovered with black Italian leather (diamond sewn) as well as put leather on the gas access covers on the tank top. I have much more to glorify, but, I'll wait till the pudding is ready to serve.
Here's the thing, this scoot has forward engine covers / leg heat deflectors that cover from the side covers to over the heads. Were these available on certain aspencades of that time frame as I have never seen them on any other GW?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: aspencade engine covers

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:57 am

They are strictly aftermarket, they were never offered by OEM. I believe Markland made some, but I could be wrong.

10iron
Motorcycle: 1883 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: aspencade engine covers

Postby 10iron » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:08 pm

I bought an 83 Aspencade which had been sitting for 7 years. It came with these engine covers. They were marketed by Markland. Markland also added the front seat rest, footboards, and a light bar around the back. I took off all of the after market items but I do like the engine covers. I've been running down a missing pin and a broken retainer for these covers. My covers were painted wineberry to match the Aspencade paint. Jack W.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”