Occasional hard shift???

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I Interstate

Occasional hard shift???

Postby rirons0625 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:31 am

I have an '81 Interstate that I had to replace a broken alternator shaft in. While I had it apart, I also replaced the stator and clutch friction disks. After reassembling the bike would not want to shift at times and I figured it was a cable adjustment. After adjusting the cable as far as I could, I still had a problem and replaced the cable. After adjusting it a couple of times, it will shift very smooth but occasionally when you squeeze the clutch lever the bike simply does not want to shift. I have noticed that if I release the clutch, hold up on the shift lever, then depress the clutch it will slide into gear. 90% of the time it is okay, but does anyone have any ideas on this? Did I reassemble something wrong? (I hope not! :( ) Thanks for your help!

Motorcycle: crashed 1982 GL1100A Aspencade-scrap heep

Re: Occasional hard shift???

Postby biker4christ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:23 pm

sorry your havin so much trouble with it. i have an 82 asp, it goes into all gears but sometimes it does shift hard. ive noticed if i just pull the clutch just enough to engage it shifts better,so i dont pull it till it touches the grip,just about 3/4 to 1 inch in, not sure if it helps but seems nobody else knows either, good luck

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”