Need help in the San Diego Area - '83 Interstate

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dvcruz
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Interstate

Need help in the San Diego Area - '83 Interstate

Postby dvcruz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Hello to all.
This is a two part request for help and if it need to be moved to another forum someone please do so.
Mech problem. I have a '83 with 67k miles which I rescued from a 15 yr garage storage. I have put 2000 miles on it since the rescue and the bike is running fine, except for a loud ticking noise. I have heard this noise for 2000 miles and I can't figure it out. Checked the timing, valves, exhausts etc numerous times. I'm looking for someone in the SD area willing to take a listen to give me their opinion. This is my sole source of travel and I need to fix this. I think it's some kind of exhaust noise, but I can't verify that.
I know alot of you will want to send me suggestions to try this and that, alot of you already have and I appreciate that. I've tried them already. I really would just like someone to give a listen to the bike (take it out if you want) and tell me what you think. I am currently statying in a hotel so I do not have them means to work on the bike right not.
Which brings me to my second problem.
Two weeks ago I moved to San Diego from the bay area to start a new job. After over two years of unemployment, I had to take this opportunaty. I am in desperate need of an affordable week-to-week or month to month room for a month or so. I just need a room to keep about 6 bags of luggage and a safe place to park my bike at night. Im looking for cheap, not beautiful. I'm a quiet, non-smoking, no drugs professional working in the computer\IT field. The closer to downtown SD the better.
Anyone know anyone with a room to rent?
You folds have all been very helpful in the past and I'm hoping you can do it one more time.
Thanks you.
dvcruz

Back in the San Diego area!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Need help in the San Diego Area - '83 Interstate

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Use a rubber hose in the ear to locate the noise,or a long screwdriver.
A ticking noise that can't be attributed to valve adjustments can be the fuel pump.It has a lever that runs on an the end of the cam.Mine is louder than the valve tick.I just let it run.Someday I'll replace it with a electric pump.

dvcruz
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Interstate

Postby dvcruz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks vm, I've already tried the hose and screwdrive and have already ruled out the fuel pump. The only thing I can say about locating the noise is that when I ride the bike, the noise seems to be coming from the front of the false gas tank (like near the lower steering head bearing). Sometimes I think it's the tach cable, but I know that it isn't.
I know alot of wingers out there are just living with a tapping sound, but it's too loud to ignore.
Thanks for the input though.
dvc
Back in the San Diego area!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:03 am

Try to identify the noise by when and frequency.
Ex.varies with RPM setting still?
Does not vary with rpm?
Better or worse under different conditions?driving/parked
Possible arcing out of the coil or wire?A cracked coil can snap,sounds like a tick.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”