"Clutching at straws"

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

"Clutching at straws"

Postby N2PPN » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Well I guess it was destined to happen...

Today here on Long Island the weather was perfect for a ride... temps in the 60's a bit of a breeze and beautiful blue skies dotted with some clouds...

Rolled the old girl out of the garage, put the liner back inside my riding jacket, started her up with a bit of choke, found a good set of songs on the USB drive and rolled out onto the road...

Had to make a short stop at the dentist for my bi-annual check up so I meandered over to his office in time for my appointment.... I figured a few minutes in his chair, some x-rays and a cleaning, and I'd be out for a nice ride...

I got finished up at the dentist in almost record time (he said I was doing a great job keeping my teeth clean and gave me a lollipop) and headed outside to jump on the bike and get some riding time in...

Started her up, adjusted the music got comfortable in the saddle, went to drop her into first gear and "POP"!! the clutch cable let go at the clutch lever!!

Aww Crap!!

After several minutes of cursing and fretting... I went back into my dentist and asked him for a pair of vise grip pliers... he had a small pair that he loaned me... I loosened up all the adjuster nuts to the loosest positions and removed the "ring" from the cable seat end at the clutch lever... clamped the vise grips onto the end of the clutch cable about 1/8" from where it broke off the little cylinder that seats in the clutch lever and then threaded the cable back into the clutch lever... it was just long enough to make it back into position...
took a 6" ty-rap cable tie and fastened the screw-bolt end of the vise grips to my handlebar (so it wouldn't hit the fairing) and the clutch was now functional for me to get home....

I managed to get home with no other problems other than having to lose out on my ride today...

Ordered a new clutch cable on-line and drove back to the dentist to drop off his vise grips and thank him for their use.

Lessons learned today:

1. ALWAYS carry at least ONE pair of vise grips in your tool bag.
2. After a bike sits unused for 10 or more years, REPLACE the clutch cable!!!
3. Always have a good friend as your dentist.

Thank you, Dr. Gary Berkowitz, DDS.,

Rich

Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: "Clutching at straws"

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:40 pm

I only have one question.... what flavor was the lolly pop...??? no... :lol: glad you made it home ok. everyone should carry an extra cable in there box, I know I wrote that here some time ago, you must have ignored it...You could have been 100 miles from home in the middle of nowhere'sville ...get another used one off ebay cheap and keep it your box as an extra.. should make this a rule...

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Postby N2PPN » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi Littlebeaver,

You know after a lift cable failure on my pop-up camper many years ago, I always carried spare cables for the lifter mechanism... I guess I never thought about the bike's clutch cable in "that" way.... in hindsight I had thought I felt a "pop" or a resistance on Monday (Columbus day) when I was out riding... and even had a fleeting thought that I should replace the clutch cable.... but silly me, I just adjusted the cable's slack and kept on going.... little did I know it was trying to tell me something five days ago....

Now have TWO new cables on order (took your advice to always carry a spare) and am anxiously awaiting the USPS postman and his anticipated package of joy for me and my GW... I figure $20 worth of insurance is a cheap price to pay for not having a perfect riding day ruined.... <sigh>

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:18 am

I carry CLUTCH AND THROTTLE CABLES.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:15 pm

RBGERSON wrote:I carry CLUTCH AND THROTTLE CABLES.

Ahhhh you got me, I don't have the extra throttle cables, I'll be looking at ebay I guess for a spare set..thanks....I shall take your advise RB... :D

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:28 pm

I want to know why your dentist has vise grips in his office. dont they have special instruments for pulling teeth? :lol:

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”