1982 GL1100A Oil leaks problems

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
biggbass
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

1982 GL1100A Oil leaks problems

Postby biggbass » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:59 pm

Sorry for such a long post but I feel it was important to give as much information as possible so I can get the best advice.

I have a 1982 GL1100A, I had the motor rebuilt; new rings, clutches both steel and friction plates, starter and starter clutch, timing belts and the valves lapped in. I also had new brake rotors and pads put on both front and rear along with 2 new tires and a set of grips. The shop I had do the work screw it and me over, they are now out of business and have filed for bankruptcy. My hope is that with some advise from this forum I can get it running again.

A little history when they put the motor back together they for got to put an oil filter in and put 5 quarts of oil in it. I rode it home about 15 miles, when I got it home is when I found out about the oil and filter problems. I did drain all the oil put in a filter and the correct amount of oil.

The problems that I am having are

1st that oil is leaking from behind the double pulleys on the crankshaft that run the timing belts. I had a second shop change the oil seal part #91201-371-005 and it still leaks, they took the seal out and filled it with permatex and it held for about 30 minutes then started leaking again. I rode it home again about 15 miles and it sounds like a Mack truck.

2nd after the engine warms up the oil warning light comes on if there is not a load on the motor if I keep it above about 1500 rpms it stays off.

3rd excessive about of smoke coming out of both exhaust pipes equally

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1982 GL1100A Oil leaks problems

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:23 pm

Wow, I hate to hear this kind of stuff.

I don't know for sure, and don't like to suggest it, but when major components are replaced, in particular rings (which need to seat) and clutches (which also need to seat), there is a fair bit of metal that is shaved off during the first bit of engine run-in. This metal, if allowed to run through the engine, would do some serious damage to things like crank bearings, cylinder walls and other close-tolerance items. This doesn't happen however, because the oil filter catches the metal, and doesn't allow it to recirculate.

In your case, the filter wasn't installed, so it was allowed to recirculate, for quite a while.

As for the low oil pressure - either one or both oil pumps was installed incorrectly, a relief valve is stuck or failing, an oil pump is damaged, or you've got a seal leaking somewhere. The pumps are pretty robust, there's really not much to fail on them. I'd go with a relief valve or a leaky seal, probably a leaky seal being that the case was split recently.

The Mack Truck noise - can be a lot of things, but I have heard this from a timing belt being a tooth or two off.

The smoke: I'm assuming it's oil (blue) smoke, which would make sense if you've had metal damage your cylinder walls.

What would I do in your shoes? With what you're faced, and knowing what's happened to your engine, I'd probably go online, spend $200 or $300 on a new engine, and swap them out. Keep the old engine for parts - maybe swap the new starter and clutch into it as well. That would be my direction.

biggbass
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby biggbass » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:57 am

Thank you for your insight and advice.

I have found a possible replacement motor. First I would like to try a few things on the motor I have now and would appreciate any and all advice. I have the oil seal that goes behind the pulleys that ride on the crankshaft that run the timing belts. As I stated earlier I had a 2nd shop try to change it but it still leaked, then they pull it out and tried permatex and it held for about 30 minutes. I would like to clean the permatex out and try to reinstall the seal and reset the timing. My question is how do I install the seal correctly? Second question is on the replacement motor it has been sitting for about 6 years, I am able to turn the it over by hand, the little oil I got out had a little bit of water in it, the little bit of water that came out of the water drain plug had a little anit-freeze color to it. Ok now the question should I tear this motor down to the point of new rings, bearing and the like or just leave that part a lone and just change fluids and carbs?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:37 pm

Honestly, if the engine has had even a modicum of care, the rings and bearings should be fine. These engines, with regular oil changes, can go upwards of 300,000 miles before they need a rebuild.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”