noise and my unique card adjust method

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
idjit
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

noise and my unique card adjust method

Postby idjit » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:18 pm

After cleaning carbs last winter and syncing I had a slight knocking sound. I'm not absolutely sure it wasn't doing it last year. This year I did my idle mix several times by ear and syncing each time but the sound never changed. I just don't have a tach, so I did this:

I turned the idles screws all in a bit, started it in the dark and warmed it up and richened each carb at idle till the pipes were no longer red. That should have get them all at least the same. It would seem so, because I synced it and it runs really nice. No primary chain noise at take off. Smooooth. Couldn't be better, except I still have that knocking (or popping) from one cylinder on the left each rotation. Funny thing is while syncing I noticed when I take the cap off the sync nipple on #2, which just happens to be on the left, the engine speeds up and it sucks air big time. I was really thorough with the cleaning. Used the Randakk kit and the companion manual and plenty of tips from you good folks. Remember it's just rich enough to not turn the pipes red same as the other.

I checked the valve clearances and they are spot on. Also turned #2 rich-lean to see if the sound would stop and it doesn't matter how hot the bike is. As soon as it's warm enough to idle smooth to after a long ride. Got a "pop" a couple of times from that side downshifting too... not a backfire, just a reasonable loud "pop".

Any ideas (besides buying a tack). I'm thinking sticky valve. If so, how can I clean without removing the valve. I worry about a solvent that might injure the seal. My biggest fear is that if it is a valve it could get worse.

Thanks -Bob

idjit

Re: noise and my unique carb adjust method

Postby idjit » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:33 am

More... I drove it to work this AM and I noticed even at road speed I can hear one cylinder different. Like one has more power, but I don't think it has. I don't know if "pop"ing sound is the way to describe it. Before hopping on I did the "red pipes in the dark" check. # 2 was a bit rich, but it made no difference. The way I do this is with the choke out just enough to get the RPM's up a bit and turn the idle mix to get a to very dull red. Then at idle (choke in) they are not red. I think perhaps the reason #2 was richer was probably cause I hadn't rechecked after the sync (which it probably needs again cause I tweeked #2) although it's still running perfectly and no primary chain rattle. Starts nicely at 5 degrees celsius (35.5 F). Bottom line is it's synced and all pipes get the same temp so the mix must be the same all around and one sounds different.

BTW compression is fine. They are all the same (+/- a bit). Thanks -Bob

imfree
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Re: noise and my unique card adjust method

Postby imfree » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:21 am

Check your exhaust gaskets.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:00 am

This may not be the same,but it's a easy check.My 1100 sounded bad on one side when accelerating.
I pulled the air filter and used my wifes compact mirror on a stick(wait till she finds out about that) , angled it and using a flashlight,I could see the slides.
When i snapped the throttle,the slides would jump up.Well , all except one.It was stuck down. :(
Here's your sign. :D

miss-goldwing
Motorcycle: 1983 goldwing inerstate

Postby miss-goldwing » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:59 am

check exhaust for holes plug the ones you find with quick steel then no more noise no more pop good luck

idjit

Postby idjit » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:37 am

These are great ideas. To be able to see the slides... nice and I ruled out exhaust cause I put a set of Jardine pipes on about a year ago. I don't think it's sliders cause of the way it performs, but easy to check... thanks. It could be gaskets cause I put high temp anti- seize compound on the studs so I wouldn't have to ever spend 2 weeks with PB blaster ever again. It may have loosened off.

It's too dark morning and night to work on it during the week. I'll have a look on the weekend if it's warm enought. Thanks!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”