Using a 'different' Master Cylinder on a 83 GL1100A

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
isthismuchbetter???
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Using a 'different' Master Cylinder on a 83 GL1100A

Postby isthismuchbetter??? » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:32 pm

Hello. I am new and no good at these sites, so please reply to my email of rocketmn@nemontel.net Thanks! I am in a VERY rural area with nearest shop 50 miles away.

Just got a 1983 GL1100A Aspencade. Rear brake troubles. Trailered it the 50 miles to the small shop. They cleaned up and did a lot of rear brake work and a new MC rebuild kit and a few weeks later it was leaking fluid out of the bottom of the MC again. Snowing, so I trailered it back today and they said if this new kit doesn't work I need to find a MC on Ebay or salvage yard, as they can't get one anymore. Got one on Ebay supposedly for 80-83's but the shop said they can't use it because it needs a 'banjo' fitting at the brake line and mine has a flared fitting at the end of the steel brake line (you know, the same kind that is on the end of the steel brake line that goes into the wheel cylinder on a car). Mucho unhappy. QUESTION: is there an ADAPTER that would let my flared fitting fit into the MC or am I out of luck totally with this $150 ebay MC that even came with the hose and full of fluid(!!) reservoir?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thanks a bunch. Gunner Benavente 37 miles beyond the sign that says: "You are now NOWHERE!!!"

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Using a 'different' Master Cylinder on a 83 GL1100A

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:46 am

I'm not aware of any adapter,however I wonder if I have a old slave cylinder (free+shipping) that might match your E-Bay bought master cylinder and hose.
I'll look this evening.I don't know even if they are physically the same.
Just to be sure..You have a "new" master cylinder with a hose with a "banjo"fitting" ? and you need a slave cylinder to match it that will fit a 83 aspy.

I saved a bunch of parts from 2 parts bikes.

isthismuchbetter???

Postby isthismuchbetter??? » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:12 am

Hi I hope this reply gets to you, as i am just not any good at navigating and being able to work these 'forum' things. I just spent a frustrating hour trying to reply and send new photos to a guy on the goldwingfacts.com site. Can you please contact me at my regular email address so it is simple for me to reply and send a ton of pictures if you want. rocketmn@nemontel.net

ok, last night I looked thru my CLYMERS manual and in the SUPPLEMENT section for '80 and Later Service Information it showed a drawing of my 83 flared fitting screwed into the master cylinder. Just like I have on my bike. Now, the ebay unit I bought does NOT have the banjo fitting on it. Which I can't use anyway. But the rest of the master cylinder is there, including the plastic hose that comes down from the reservoir, and the reservoir itself. All are still hooked up. Supposedly this ebay unit works well and had/has good pressure. But if I can't find a way to get the flare fitting to attach where the banjo fitting part of it, it is just an oily paperweight. Please contact me at my regular email address. THANKS!!!!!!!! Gunner

isthismuchbetter???

Postby isthismuchbetter??? » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:21 am

This is the 'ebay' unit that requires a banjo fitting, and needs an adapter for my flare fitting if I am going to be able to use it.
This is the 'ebay' unit that requires a banjo fitting, and needs an adapter for my flare fitting if I am going to be able to use it.

Ok, if this reply and these pix come thru, here is what I am talking about. Any help?

Gunner
Attachments
a bit blurry, but this is the flared fitting on my 83 master cylinder.
a bit blurry, but this is the flared fitting on my 83 master cylinder.

isthismuchbetter???

Postby isthismuchbetter??? » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Ok guys (and gals?) Thanks for all the help. With this and another forum and emails and a shop phone call, here is what I found and have done. Up till 1982 they had the single brakes front and back. The banjo for the hose to the rear. In 83, the new dual system with the top flared steel tubing to a pressure regulator/splitter that sent pressure lines front and rear (Mine..). In 84 another change with both pressure lines coming out of the rear master and replacing the spitter. General consensus from all of you is that even if I could so some sort of line adapting, the 82 probly would not have enough ooomph to safely operate both brakes, as it was made for a single brake.

So this ebay 82 master is as useless as all those stacks of submarine screen doors I ordered so long ago. I have told the seller in a nice and FORMAL way about all this and requested a full refund. If he isn't cooperative, I will file a claim and complaint to Ebay and tell everyone on these forums his ebay name so if you hunt for an item and he has it..........beware..........

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:53 pm

Hey Gunner.pardon my familiarity,but I think I have a good casting for you.No guts but It's clean.Maybe you won't grouch so much now. :D

isthismuchbetter???

Postby isthismuchbetter??? » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:55 pm

Thanks! I got your email too, and have a lengthy answer and some questions too.

miss-goldwing
Motorcycle: 1983 goldwing inerstate

Postby miss-goldwing » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:41 am

the same thing happend to me I got a mc off ebay that was said to be for an 83 goldwing it came with a brake line and brake fluid may be the same person if you have the rear brake line for an 82 you can still put that mc on and just have one rear and one frount brake they should not say its for an 83 they no its not but they sent it with the rear brake line so it should be ok well is not and there running up the bids on there own stuff I just seen an 83 the right 83 mc sale for $8,00 the shipping was more than that i paid $122,00 for mine that made me so mad hold on to the 82 mc you can still hook it up just two brakes is still better than one if anyone has a real 83 rear master let me know how much you want for it thanks

isthismuchbetter???

Postby isthismuchbetter??? » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Well, from all the replies I have had, it appears that the 82, 83 and 84 are all different. Supposedly the 82 mc just runs the back brake and has a banjo fiting. The 83 runs a duel brake system, and uses a flared steel tubing. The 84 has a bigger engine and has TWO lines coming out of the mc. After a lot of 'yelling' I have sent the ebay unit back and should be getting a refund. If he plays a game, I will file a formal complaint with ebay. Ebay retains all emails that go thru them, in case they need to settle a dispute, so, since he has said he will give a refund after I ship the item, he is on record as saying so. His ebay seller name is usvortec and he has a lot of used bike stuff on auctions.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”