electrical gremlins 82 gl1100

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
new82
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate/aspencade

electrical gremlins 82 gl1100

Postby new82 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:04 pm

OK, I've installed Back tire, horn & timing belts. Will be doing a carb sync once I get gauge & fittings.
Before I started working on bike, all signals worked properly except front brakelight. ( I need a new switch tried to rebuild it but the contacts are too worn ) Installed a generic horn, but it only had 10.15 volts on it's hot lead and wouldnt beep. Ran a hot lead for it straight from fusebox & it works fine now.

Put the fairing back on yesterday. Headlight/ Hibeam worked fine, tailight came on, but turn signals wouldntwork, neither would rear brakelight. The indicators on the dash didn't come on either.

The front T/S lights both came on as running lights, but when T/S was switched to left, left would go out. Same for right. Ok so I thought about it read up & studied wiring diagrams & figured out where the flasher canister was. So today I went & unplugged flasher can & checked for voltage. It was OK - a little low - about 11.2v Hooked it up again, & the right ts would flash about 3 times very slowly, then stay on. the left would just click once & stay on. Checked the rear brake light, and it was working again, BUT the taillight wasn't. Taillight would come on if ignition was moved to Park, but not in run position, but brakelight works in run position.
Checked TS again, & flasher is working for the right side - both front and rear lights flash as well as the indicator. For the left side, the rear light and indicator come on & stay on. front bulb doesn't light. I switched bulbs, and even switched sockets. (Plugged the pigtails to opposite sides behind fairing. both bulbs and socktes are good. Note - neither side stays on as running light, just flashes when selected) The left side (that won't light orange wire) has 10.16 v with engine off, and about 11.22v with engine running. The right side that works (light blue) has 10.23 v with engine off. I tried jumping the 2 flasher leads bypassing the canister, but front L light still wont come on.

*************Update**************
bought a 4$ autozone flasher canister & now both sides flash - front L light still doesnt come on though. I'ts fixing to start raining, so I'm not sure i'll be able to get anything else done today. still need to get l front ts light working, & taillight.

There is a whole bunch of spaghetti in the fairing for stereos & cbs that arent there. Is there anything in there that I need to keep besides light connections?

new82

Re: electrical gremlins 82 gl1100

Postby new82 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:23 am

Hi - I'm surprised no one has replied having similar problems with a 30 yr old bike. It almost seems like a lucas electric problem (master of darkness) I can probably find a work-around for the tail light - tying the tail light brown lead into another circuit. I doubt I'll ever have need for parking lights. But the front turn signal light has me baffled. It seems to me the bulb should light on 10 or 11 volts, but it does nothing. If I hadn't swappd left & right connectors I'd suspect bulb or socket, but I've seen both work. After changing flasher can I see 9.x (motor off) or 10.x volts flashing on & off at the socket,but bulb wont light up at all
I have a cheap digital multimeter - no test light.

Any Ideas - thoughts?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:55 am

Alright, let's try to break some of this down.

new82 wrote:OK, I've installed Back tire, horn & timing belts. Will be doing a carb sync once I get gauge & fittings.
Before I started working on bike, all signals worked properly except front brakelight. ( I need a new switch tried to rebuild it but the contacts are too worn ) Installed a generic horn, but it only had 10.15 volts on it's hot lead and wouldnt beep. Ran a hot lead for it straight from fusebox & it works fine now.

The horn wiring (actually connectors) do tend to fail, as the horns draw a fair amount of current. I replaced mine with a fused wire run straight from the battery to a replacement set of FIAMM freeway blaster horns. I had the original horn circuit trigger a relay that switched the new high-current wire I installed from the factory.

new82 wrote:Put the fairing back on yesterday. Headlight/ Hibeam worked fine, tailight came on, but turn signals wouldntwork, neither would rear brakelight. The indicators on the dash didn't come on either.

The rear brake light wouldn't work for either hand or foot switch?

new82 wrote:The front T/S lights both came on as running lights, but when T/S was switched to left, left would go out. Same for right.

That's correct operation. The front turn signals have two filaments - a dim and a bright. The dim is used as a running light, when turn the turn signal on, the dim is switched off and the bright filament is flashed.

new82 wrote:Ok so I thought about it read up & studied wiring diagrams & figured out where the flasher canister was. So today I went & unplugged flasher can & checked for voltage. It was OK - a little low - about 11.2v Hooked it up again, & the right ts would flash about 3 times very slowly, then stay on. the left would just click once & stay on. Checked the rear brake light, and it was working again, BUT the taillight wasn't. Taillight would come on if ignition was moved to Park, but not in run position, but brakelight works in run position.

The tail light and brake light share the same ground, so if the brake light is working (and it's the correct brightness) - AND the tail light works in Park, this leads me away from a bad ground (at least on the tail light). The tail light operates from two different fuses depending on how the key is switched. If in Park, it runs from the "Parking" fuse, if it "Run" it runs from the "Tail" fuse. I'd first try replacing the "Tail" fuse to make sure it is not the source of the problem.

As for the flasher, if there isn't enough current being drawn, or voltage available, it will just come on, or can flash very slowly.

new82 wrote:Checked TS again, & flasher is working for the right side - both front and rear lights flash as well as the indicator. For the left side, the rear light and indicator come on & stay on. front bulb doesn't light. I switched bulbs, and even switched sockets. (Plugged the pigtails to opposite sides behind fairing. both bulbs and socktes are good. Note - neither side stays on as running light, just flashes when selected) The left side (that won't light orange wire) has 10.16 v with engine off, and about 11.22v with engine running. The right side that works (light blue) has 10.23 v with engine off. I tried jumping the 2 flasher leads bypassing the canister, but front L light still wont come on.

I'm going to guess you have a bad connection between the flasher and the front left turn signal, or a bad ground for the front left turn signal.

new82 wrote:bought a 4$ autozone flasher canister & now both sides flash - front L light still doesnt come on though. I'ts fixing to start raining, so I'm not sure i'll be able to get anything else done today. still need to get l front ts light working, & taillight.

I suspect you got an electronic flasher, which solves the flashing problem, but just masks the original problem, which is likely the front left turn signal feed or ground. Fixing that would likely enable it to run with the original flasher.

new82 wrote:There is a whole bunch of spaghetti in the fairing for stereos & cbs that arent there. Is there anything in there that I need to keep besides light connections?

No, but at this point I'd worry about fixing the existing problems before potentially introducing more variables to the problem.

new82

Postby new82 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks wing. I got the tail light working by jumpering the acc to parking light fuse. Of course this will mean I have tail light on whn switch in on Accessory, but not a problem for me. For some reason, the running lights on the turn indicator come on now (just in the run position, not ACC or park) and the RF turn signal works as it should; going out completely and flashing on. The LF dims & gets brighter as the Right flashes. with the switch to the Left, the LF light just goes off. With the new flasher the LR & indicator on dash flash. with the old can, they just stay on. the RF flasher does not brighten or dim as the left (rear) flashes.
Fixing to try & pull the gorrilla plug between fairing & bike.

Nope - that didn't do the trick. and I swapped bulbs again to be sure. well with P light coming on, it rules out a bad ground. The P light turns on the top filiment of both bulbs when switchd to either, it turns off the parking filiment of that side. then flashes the lower filiment everything is working right, except that the the left filiment isnt flashing.

new82

Postby new82 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:22 am

well, just finished watching Stanford beat USC in 3rd overtime, & dug out wiring diags again. I'm guessing the connector behind the fairing weight is the one I have circled, & the orange lead from this connector to the LF TS light must have a bad connection here, So I'll try tying the 2 orange leads together here. It's kindof weird because the voltage i fine at the bulb socket. analog multimeter clicks along with the rear TS, but I guess there isn't enough current to light the bulb. So.... looks like I'll have to pull fairing again before saints game tomorrow.

dkorody
Motorcycle: 83 wing interstate

Postby dkorody » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:51 pm

you have a bad ground somewhere the reason your lights are diming is because there grounding thru the positive side cheack the liight sockets

dkorody
Motorcycle: 83 wing interstate

Postby dkorody » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:21 pm

another thing to check is make sure the bulbs are in right and the right kind 1156 or 1157 im not sure which it takes

new82

Postby new82 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:09 pm

An update. Seem to have all the gremlins squared away now, and she's street legal now.
pulled apart the connector behind the weight and it looked good. plugged it up & put fairing on & all lights were fritzy. that turned out to be the fairing ground. hooked it up solid & everything working right. the old flasher still wouldn't flash left side, but the new one does. I have bike registered, insured, new brake tag & cycle endorsement on DL.

I need to run some gas thru the carbs. I replaced the EMGO fuel filter with the Napa 3011, fortunately before I did any riding. Busted the old filter with a hammer & it was all gunked up, so I'm pretty sure I've got some crud in the carb jets. Anyway I have a full tank of gas & with about 4 oz of MMO in it - I hope it helps.

Jim

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”