'83 GL1100A Air Suspension Controls

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Newport
Motorcycle: 1983A Aspencade
2012 Triumph Tiger XC

'83 GL1100A Air Suspension Controls

Postby Newport » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:07 am

After a bare frame rebuild on the "83 A I have an issue with the electrics on the compressor system.
When I turn the ignition on the air suspension pressure gauge indicates at the temperature gauge as it should.
I cannot get the compressor to run as it should. The compressor itself runs if I bypass the relay and runs it so it is OK.
If I remove the relay and bridge 2 terminals I can run the compressor from the dasboard controls but there is no indication on the instrument panel (temp gauge that multi functions as the pressure indicator).
The relay checks out fine and we even tried a duplicate with the same result.
What we (my friendly fellow rider and I) appear to have eliminated is everything except maybe the air pressure sensor and the instrument panel.
Without a circuit of the electronics in the instrument panel we could not even ask anyone to check it out and we believe that there may be a mini relay inside the instrument panel that sends the signal to the temp gauge to transfer it to become a pressure indicator.
Can anyone help or do I buy some used compoents and try those but I would not find anohter '83 instrument panel in Australia.
Any and all advice will be appreciated.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: '83 GL1100A Air Suspension Controls

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:42 am

Is this you Ray?

And yes you probably have a bad circuit board or bad connection someplace in a connector to the board. I have seen the whole dash for an 83 on Ebay ever once in awhile..once I let one get by me it was only $30 but now I see them get bid up to much bigger bucks!!!

Electronics not my thing as you know ..but I'd say replace the board or the whole gauge set. Is yours analog or the digital one?
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Newport
Motorcycle: 1983A Aspencade
2012 Triumph Tiger XC

Re: '83 GL1100A Air Suspension Controls

Postby Newport » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Yes this is Ray. My dash is digital and I was also thinking that I do not have a choice but to try another instrument panel but I will wait a day or so and see what other wizards come up with.
Thanks for responding.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”