replaced starter, drove bike, now won't turn over

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
sknutson
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

replaced starter, drove bike, now won't turn over

Postby sknutson » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:04 pm

I replaced the starter on my 81 Interstate (after troubleshooting a starting issue from previous posts) and it started just fine. I started it about a half dozen times in my garage over a few days while I worked on other things. Took it for a ride today for about 30 minutes or so and when I shut it off and tried to start it a few minutes later it won't start just clicks. Pushed started so I could get home, tried starting it again a few hours later and same thing just clicks. Sometimes one click sometimes a continuous click. Battery is only a couple of months old. These are the same symptoms I had a few weeks ago before I traced the problem to the starter and replaced it.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: replaced starter, drove bike, now won't turn over

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:36 am

check the conections at the starter solinoid (just to the right of the battery. unplug them and look for corrosion.
sometimes just undoing things and doing them up again will "fix" the problem. black magic at work here :D

use a multi meter and check for voltage at the starter when button is pushed.
use jumper cable to go from battery to starter lug.does starter crank? yes= bad conection at solinoid or solinoid itself needs replacing.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

sknutson

Postby sknutson » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks Todd,

Here is the history of the bike. It's my first Goldwing and I bought the bike a few months ago for $500 that had been stored in a heated shop for two or three years. The bike started but had carb issues. Carbs were rebuilt, new battery put in, and the dogbone replaced late September and everything worked fine for a half dozen or so rides. Then one day it wouldn't turn over and I traced the problem to what I beleived was the starter and replaced the starter last week and fired right up. Rode it for about thirty minutes to to change oil and and winterize it and it wouldn't start again. Put a chager on it over night and started right up. Let it idle for about 15 minutes, shut it off and tried restarting it and not enough power to turn it over. Put a meter on the battery and got 11.5 volts with the key on, when I push the starter button it drops to about 5.5 volts. Is it possible something is getting hot after I ride it and that's why it won't start or do I have a something draining the battery or other issues? Wuld like to get it running to winterize it for the year. Any help would be great.

sperryunivac
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate
1969 Bsa Lightning

Postby sperryunivac » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Did you by any chance measure the voltage across the battery while the bike was idleing for 15 minutes? It almost sounds like the battery is not being charged when it is running. If that is the case then you will need to do more invesigation and check your connections, voltage out of the alternator. It could also be that your new battery is failing.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:11 pm

sounds to me like your stator isnt charging the battery when the bike is running. Recharge the battery. start the bike and put a meter on the battery, with the bike running at 2500rpm you should see at least 13.5volts. If not then shut the bike down, and check the connection with the three yellow wires just in front of the battery. If it looks melted at all there is your problem. just cut out the connector and solder the wires back together.use double heat shrink tubing to keep them insulated from each other.

Check the conection to the voltage reg/rectifier under the false tank (left side just aft of the flasher relay).

Restart the bike and using the multimeter check battery voltage agin at 2500rpm. If still not charging you need to test the stator for output.this test is outlined in the shop manual. If you dont have one yet you can download one here at
http://myweb.midco.net/gl1100singlecarb ... anual.html

Let us know how you make out with these tests,If your stator is shot dont panic you still have a couple of options, but I will save those till you get back with your results.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

sknutson

Postby sknutson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks all, Checked the three yelow wire connections today after work looks like the plastic menlted between the two wires in front and could be touching. Don't have tome to dig further tonight and may not get at it until this weekend and I will run some voltage tests. Just gotta say out of all the sites on the web for Goldwing owners this is tops.Joined the forum shortly after I got my WIng and it has been tons of help to get me this far in fixing it. I'll keep everyone posted. On another note, I read a post about rewireing the solinoid and bypassing the connector on a 1200, can I assume this works for the 1100?

Thanks in advance,

sknutson

Postby sknutson » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:38 pm

finally found some time to work on the WIng this weekend and perform the charging tests per the service manual mentioned in this post. Battery fully charged reads 13 volts, idling getting 11.8 volts, at 3000 rpms same volts as idling 11.8. The plug for the three yellow wires was toast, cut and soldered the three pairs. Here is where I could use some guiding as when it comes to multimeter usage I'm a little green. I set the multimeter to 20k for the rectifier test in reverse direction and the meter shows 1 _._ _ (the underscores indicate a blank space) for the readings that should be above 6000. When I take a reading I just get a quick flash of numbers and the readings are constantly diferent each time I take a reading. I then set the multimeter to 200 to check for ohms between 5 - 20 and I get nothing. I also took stator readings and there is continuity between pairs and I also get continuity to ground. This is where I get a little nervious and I,m probably getting ahead of myslf but having a bad stator scares me. Here is my two part question. Is the stator bad and/or because the rectifer readings are not what they should be is this giving false readings at the stator. Do I take stator readings with the rectifier plug connected or unconnected.
Here are a couple of other issues I have and I don't know if it has any bearing on the charging problem or not. The plug at the soilinod is also burnt and somewhat melted, I have been occasionaly blowing the 5 amp fuse for the tail light and there is a short someplace as I blow a fuse the second i put it in the accessory slot.

Thanks again for the assistance and Happy Holidays to all,

Stan

DCoxson1969

Postby DCoxson1969 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:16 pm

I had the same problem where I burned up solenoids one after another. Took the starter out and found bad wires and fixed it. Had same problem again, I push the start button and hear click but motor would not turn over. It ended up being I forgot to shut off the fuel when I parked it and fuel got into the cylinders and hydro-locked. I pulled the plugs and the motor turned over and shot the raw fuel out, put the plugs in and fired right up. I WILL NOT leave fuel on again.....
FIREFIGHTER: Busting mine to save yours!

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:47 pm

11.8 V's is not enough your stator is not charging as it should..should be getting at least 13.2 to 14. And the draw sown on the battery is way too much it should go from 12.5 to not less than 10.5 when you push the starter button 5.5 is way low..you have a bad battery or cell and yes they can come new that way..or something is drawing a lot of extra current when you try the starter button
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

sknutson

Postby sknutson » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Was able to find a used rectifier/regulator and replaced the old one and that seemed to the charging problem. I will recheck the volts on startup to check the draw. Believe it or not I was able to take the wing for a ride today2/23/2012 for about a half an hour. I live in Southwest Minnesota and the temp reached 42 degrees so I took advantage of the weather. Happy Holidays to you all and thamks for the tips and advice so i can enjoy my wing.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:39 am

:D :D :D on weather and the bike

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”