Brake Pin question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Brake Pin question

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:06 am

I'm always fooling around with something I wanted to put on a new cotter pin where the brake pedal connects to the master cylinder, the pin is original I think?? :shock: ?? it had a washer then a cotter pin in it...Here's the thing guy's and gal's How much play should there be in that hole, it seems to me that a little bit larger pin would fill the hole connection better thus giving less play, better and tighter brakes, so I was down there and I pushed down on the pedal and looked to see how much play there was,,,Guess what.... :shock: it's seems like its too much play before activation, I want immediate response or very little play if any at all....My question is have you looked at your pin is it worn down or the wrong pin, does it fill the hole tight or loose.... it has a flathead screw on one end...is that stock,?? Perhaps I have an entirely wrong pin in there :shock: does that sound correct to you guy's or No..... I bet I got you thinking now.... :lol: I'm going pin shopping tomorrow I think...I want less play, and more brakes...I swear that pedal goes down a good 3/4" or more before any activation it shocked me...Littlebeaver got stunned... :lol: How did I not notice it before...

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Brake Pin question

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:06 am

Ok ,great. Now I have another item to add to "things to check this winter". Thanx Wayne
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:46 am

Todd I just got back in from the garage, it's been fixed, I laid there looking at it, and I thought about it for a minute and thought, what if I look thru my bolts, I bet I could find a bolt that will fit much better and take out some of that play, I found a 2" long bolt with the threads toward the end, it still has play but it's much much less now[1/16" at most, I cut the bolt off with my favorite tool, the dremel with a heavy duty cutting blade [Buy one I use it often, best tool ever], I cut the length I needed tapered the end so guiding it in is easy, the bolt is just less of tight in the hole, there's play..Anyhow I drilled a hole for a cotter pin and put it in, My gosh man, what a major improvement, now I push down and I feel brake right away...I can't beleive I never did this before or even thought of it, I thought it was supposed to be like that... No way, my kawa was never like that...come to think of it...Now my brakes will be most excellent...It's something to investigate for sure, don't get me wrong the brakes worked ok before but they will be way better now...so see how much play you folks have and everyone tell your story, is there a lot a little..What...???? I put a little grease in too....Forget the pin shopping...Done...PO may have placed in that pin, I have no idea...I bet it was the wrong one...Todd, who's Wayne, I am Martin not Wayne :lol:

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:47 am

Sorry Martin, must have had a brain fart here. you both have an A and an N in your names thats close isnt it? :oops:
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:29 am

yeppperdoddles... :lol:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:42 am

littlebeaver wrote:I'm always fooling around with something I wanted to put on a new cotter pin where the brake pedal connects to the master cylinder, the pin is original I think?? :shock: ?? it had a washer then a cotter pin in it...Here's the thing guy's and gal's How much play should there be in that hole, it seems to me that a little bit larger pin would fill the hole connection better thus giving less play, better and tighter brakes, so I was down there and I pushed down on the pedal and looked to see how much play there was,,,Guess what.... :shock: it's seems like its too much play before activation, I want immediate response or very little play if any at all....My question is have you looked at your pin is it worn down or the wrong pin, does it fill the hole tight or loose.... it has a flathead screw on one end...is that stock,?? Perhaps I have an entirely wrong pin in there :shock: does that sound correct to you guy's or No..... I bet I got you thinking now.... :lol: I'm going pin shopping tomorrow I think...I want less play, and more brakes...I swear that pedal goes down a good 3/4" or more before any activation it shocked me...Littlebeaver got stunned... :lol: How did I not notice it before...

I replaced that cotter pin on the pin that connects the master cylinder piston when I rebuilt my rear master cylinder. The pin that was in there was undersized and had been reused too many times:

I upsized the pin slightly to make sure it had a firm grip in the hole, and it's been there ever since like that with no issues. However, I did make sure to replace it with a STAINLESS steel pin. It's hanging down there where it will get hit by road spray, and you really don't want that pin rusting away and your rear brakes disappearing as a result.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:47 pm

I bet you noticed a huge difference didn't ya....I have seen very little on this subject on most sites,,,I don't know if the bolt was stainless but it was nice and shiney :lol: like a bolt off the valve covers...I'll keep an eye on it thanks...in the mean time I'll be looking for another pin to ungrade to because I know that's hardened steel...

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:07 pm

WingAdmin. I must have missed that posting, can you tell us where you picked up that larger pin, this could help a lot of folks I bet...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:31 pm

littlebeaver wrote:WingAdmin. I must have missed that posting, can you tell us where you picked up that larger pin, this could help a lot of folks I bet...

It's part of the How to rebuild your rear master cylinder article, steps 6 & 32.

The larger pin came from the local Ace hardware store - nothing special, just made sure it was stainless. I actually bought a few different sizes while I was there, and used the biggest one that fit.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”