little about a newcomer of the gl family :)

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
cafegoldwing_lover
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

little about a newcomer of the gl family :)

Postby cafegoldwing_lover » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:37 pm

hello everyone ! I am a new motorcyclist (just got my license a few months back) and bought myself a 1983 GL1100 interstate
drove it for a while and I love it. Everyone is laughing at me cause i am 22 years old and that I bought myself a bike that is way older than me. All my family & friends got Crotch Rockets.. but little that they know about my project :) I initially got this bike cause I love cafe racers and goldwings and there isn't much gl's in my town (somewhere in canada) but im no grease monkey and I dont know everything about mechanics. i love this site cause it helps allot :) the bike neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds allot of work and I want to work on it myself (not to save $$ but to prove to myself and others that I can do it!! ohh and mechanics here are liars, cheap, selfish and OVERCHARGE..) so im starting my little hot rod project and wanted to thank all whom invested all their time and effort to share precious knowledge with :D i will be taking pics and i will share my project with you guys thx again ;)

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: little about a newcomer of the gl family :)

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Oooo ,fresh meat, and Canadian too!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Welcome to the forum .Please update your city, Canada is a BIG place. It would be nice to know if you are in the same area as one of the members here,might even be a good excuse to go for a ride to see how you are doing on your project. In the mean time if you need help or parts just ask somebody here will have answers for you. Post pics when you can ,we like pics.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:50 am

Welcome to the site, you will be treated like a son around here I'm sure and that's not a bad thing :D , I feel you are one really smart man to invest in the 83, the search area at the top of the page will help alot finding any subject, once you get any and all the kinks out of your bike it's awesome...Good luck and be safe.... :D The single best tool I ever made for my bike is the break away stand...look it up... :lol:

cafegoldwing_lover

Postby cafegoldwing_lover » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:55 pm

thx guys you really boosted my fun!! :lol:

firstwing85
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
1983 V65 Magna

Postby firstwing85 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:48 pm

welcome from another fellow Canadian,
as was mentioned please update where you are in Canada.
I bought my first wing this spring too and did quite a bit of work too it.
tore the engine out to do the stator and I am glad I did because it really gave me the chance to get to know my wing really well.
if there is anything you need help with don't hesitate to ask, there is a lot of knowledge here and I believe all of us are happy to help you if we can..
look forward to seeing some great pics..
Johan

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:14 pm

:D Welcome! I'm 64 and just restored my first Goldwing..... as has been mentioned previously, there is a real wealth of info available here. It was a HUGE help to me as I restored mine.

Welcome aboard!
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

stanger55
Motorcycle: 2 - 1981 1100 Insterstates

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE

Postby stanger55 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Welcome to the site. What are your plans for the wing? If your going to make it a cafe racer, another good site for information is Naked Goldwings. Their addresss is http://www.ngwclub.com. I know a guy there named Al. Look up his bike, it's called "Screaming Yellow Zonker". It was the bike of the month awhile ago.

Stanger55
Jim (Stanger55)

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:15 pm

I think I made a terrible mistake...I'm gonna leave it at that... :oops: :oops:

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:33 pm

No, you're NOT! spill the beans......
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:49 pm

I thought you might like to see what one guy did to his wing to make it a cafe-wing. check out this site.Lots of good info here too.

http://www.randakks.com/Randakk's%20End ... pecial.htm
Ride safe, Todd

cafegoldwing_lover

Postby cafegoldwing_lover » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:11 am

hey well i had quite some troubles with my phone and can't put pics on (i have to update my LG program... very stupid) but i currently live in montreal, quebec, so if you guys are ever coming to montreal for a trip let me know ill show you around but i have to warn you there is lots and LOTS of potholes and i definitely suggest not coming here lol ... AND holy moly thats freakin' sick :o a SUPERCHARGER !!!!! :o wow thx for the great site RoadRogue :) i just cant get over the fact that there's a supercharger on that thing ... i wonder how much it'll cost me to for the whole engine tune ups and all :roll: . must cost allot and take allot of time .. i have all winter soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ... aaahhhhh man .. i can definitely put all those crotch rockets to shame :lol: I've got to think this through lol

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:31 am

I watched a program on cable tonight, Cafe Racer's , it came on right after Orange County show..It was a good show, but it killed me when they destroyed a Honda 750 cbx a late 70's model I think and it was in perfect condition and they chopped it up...oh...Man that was hard to watch, and the original owner of the Honda was right there watching them do it..It turned out ok, but it was perfect before...It was a good show...so it looks like the Cafe racer is making a comeback...I like them and think they look cool...Good luck with the project....

cafegoldwing_lover

Postby cafegoldwing_lover » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:40 pm

ohh noo thats sad ... cafe racers are the BOMB !! i like bobbers but its different. Anyways thanks guys you really boosted my motivation so here are some pics. i removed almost everything on the beast and discovered my problems as my work went on ... well not a beast yet!! but it is a very sick bike :(

ok so here are my problems
1- the coolant is leaking into the engine, my coolant is not fluorescent green anymore its more like green-brown, so i need to fix my radiator and gaskets...
2- my left side muffler is puffing white smoke (smells sweet) so thats fore sure coolant ... so if im right piston 1&3 has coolant in it which means they are rusting as i type wich means i need an engine overhaul ... i also could hear a few clunks on start-ups...
3- need to change my clutch...
4- need to rebuild my front and rear master cylinder, new break pads and probably a new disc for the rear...
5- got electrical problems with the lights ...
6- something is going on in the differential...
7- and a few touch ups, tubes and wires, de-rust my tank and a new paint job and it should be all :D

ouff man lots to do for 4 moths ... im trying to find a good mechanic or a mechanic shop to overhaul her heart. ahh man a few peps are saying that this bike needs a new bike lol i dont know .. what do you think guys?
Attachments
front view. i have to admit driving this thing feels like it was made for darth vader :)
front view. i have to admit driving this thing feels like it was made for darth vader :)
ok strting on my work !! got the whole thing naked. thx to the tutorial it was a breeze
ok strting on my work !! got the whole thing naked. thx to the tutorial it was a breeze
completely naked now :)
completely naked now :)

cafegoldwing_lover

Postby cafegoldwing_lover » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:43 pm

OHH !! and need to change my timing belt :lol:

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:28 am

I think you can tackle anything, there's nothing on this site that really hasn't been covered, it sounds like you need to get some head gaskets if it's blowing out white smoke, check the spark plugs on that side and if they look steamed cleaned then it's probably the gaskets...I'd do a lot of reading, research and ask a lot of questions if your are not sure..I had a very poor running bike a few years back, this site and others and what I knew already helped me along, now I'm at the point of dressing her up because everything's fixed, I plan to paint it just like WingAdmin. newer bike.. :lol: remember the search area above will get you to every subject..I'd read all the threads as far back as they go...Good luck to ya... :D

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:48 am

just because you have a blown head gasket doesnt mean that you need to overhaul the entire engine,just replace the head gasket(OEM gaskets only).
The list may seem to be a little overwhelming but if you tackle one item at a time before long you will have it all fixed up. There is more vthan enough time between now and spring to get it all done right yourself. Ifo on how to do each of these jobs is availiable online. If you get lost just give us a shout and somebody will be able to help you out. Seems that Littlebeaver and I agree on this :D
Ride safe, Todd

cafegoldwing_lover

Postby cafegoldwing_lover » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:53 am

great info thx guys ill keep you posted :) getting it done 1 by 1 is the best. i dont want to rush it and screw something up :lol:

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:11 am

Cafe... did you get to download the manual for the 1100 yet?

firstwing85
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
1983 V65 Magna

Postby firstwing85 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:43 am

I also agree that you can tackle the job by yourself, I had to pull my engine out to do the stator and I had never taken apart any part of a bike before and there are a couple of pics in my intro to this forum..
with the help of forum member and the topics on the issues I was facing on my bike really helped and now looking back I am glad I did all the work myself because it gave me a chance to get to know my bike really well.
and when you do need some help you know it's only a question away and all you gotta do is ask.

looks to me like you are well on your way.. :D :D
Johan

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:23 am

Roadrouge is 100% correct !!!!
What ever you do make sure you use OEM gaskets on the cylinder heads other wise you will become very adept at changing heads. Be careful not to forget the O rings on the rocker oil feed restrictor and ensure that the dowling pins are in the BLOCK and not the head as you can hang the gaskets on them whilst manouvering the heads on.
Also on my GL1100 I had to remove the seat and false tank to get the radiator cap off to fill it up after the overhaul with the correct amount of anti freeze/water mixture.

cafegoldwing_lover

Postby cafegoldwing_lover » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:50 pm

yup i have the service manual thx to this site :) thx guys my motivation to work on the bike boosted like 250% :lol: for the gaskets the honda dealer here has to order them and the bad news is its freakin' expensive lol but no worries ill be getting them soon im working on my radiator at the moment, trying to clean everything up :) ill get back to you guys with improved pics :)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”