Newbe first post

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Newbe first post

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Just joined up today and thought a short intro first was appropriate.
I live in Mn and am 49 years old.I run a cnc in a custom buisness furniture factory.Married with 2 boys.
Now for the fun stuff-I last rode a motorcycle in 1984 when I sold my suzuki 400 upon discharge from the USAF.Last week I chanced upon a 1980 gl1100 with 72.000 miles,in excellent cond,for a good price-so I couldnt resist.I got it today and took some pics.
The only problem it seems to have is that the nuetral indcator light dosent work.Possibly a bulb or the nuetral saftey switch?
The info here is first rate-I know I shall like it here.Regards,Johnyy

Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: Newbe first post

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:46 pm

Hello and welcome to the sure to look at the wire diagragm it's in one of the front pages and I think it's even in color, my clymer book is not... :shock: :D I think the neutral wire goes in at the front part of the engine, I know your not the first person with this issue...Use the search pages at the top right of this page to read up on that subject..Welcome again... :D

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:48 pm

Yup, you'll find the neutral switch wire near the front of the engine. On the 1980 I believe it's just behind the front cover, on the right side. When it is grounded, the neutral light should turn on.

I'm sure you'll have other people tell you, but if they haven't been replaced recently, or you don't know when (or if ever) they were replaced, number one item on your list should be replacing the timing belts.

Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:58 pm

Welcome aboard, This is a great place to learn about your new ride. There are lots of knowledgeable people here. As WingAdmin says do the timing belts ASAP unless you know the history of them.If you have any questions just ask. Remember your riding skills are going to be a bit rusty so take it easy till you relearn those skills
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby moffat » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:01 am

The neutral light switch is renowned for giving problems. The bike is designed not to start whilst in gear ( unless the cluch is dis-engaged) and the neutral switch is part of the safety circuit along with a switch on the clutch lever. Thus if the neutral switch is working properly the bike will only start when in neutral and not whilst in gear unless the clutch lever is pulled -the switch on the lever overides the neutral swich action in the starting circuit.
Better first check the wiring to the switch which is located right at the bottom right of the engine on the early 1100 engines and the bulb as well.
Generally the neutral switch becomes defective and when in neutral lights up brightly and glows dimly whilst in gears. This is generally due to carbon build up on the swich from the lubrication oil over time. The switch can be changed without removing the engine but read the maintenance manual exactly how to do as the bottom engine left to right bolt and the fore and aft bolt near to the rear of the enginge needs removing and the frame sprung away from the engine or the switch will not come out.
If you change the neutral switch always treplace the "0" ring and ensure the drain hole in the switch is pointing downwards as it drains the oil into the sump when the bike is stationary. Hope this helps

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:17 am

Sounds like I need to start tracing wire.My plan-after reading previous posts and these-is to-replace the timing belts,adjust the valves,and sync the carbs.
Tires will need replaced,and someday a paint job.
I took her out for a short spin-I had no problems.I guess you never forget how to ride a bike!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”