Undressing and seducing a '81 GL1100

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
wheelhorse45
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Goldwing

1963 Rokon Trailbreaker

Undressing and seducing a '81 GL1100

Postby wheelhorse45 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:01 pm

[size=85][/size]She had been exposed to the weather for four years. Everything was frozen up from no use. Tires were flat, the fuel tank rusted up. There was a large crack in the fairing (some of it was missing). I removed the Faux tank,seat,saddle bags and the trunk. I decided to rebuild her to a Naked Wing.
Attachments
I yanked the carbs and oiled every cable on her.
I yanked the carbs and oiled every cable on her.
Rebuilding the carbs
Rebuilding the carbs
removed the fuel tank. Not as hard as I thought.
removed the fuel tank. Not as hard as I thought.
Soaked for 24 hrs. in vinegar, rinsed, filled with sodium carbonate and water and electrocuted the tank with a 10 amp battery charger for 12 hrs. All the rust is loose but it's slimy even after rinsing and washing.I'm going to put in some pea gravel and gun patches and shake the H____ out of it.
Soaked for 24 hrs. in vinegar, rinsed, filled with sodium carbonate and water and electrocuted the tank with a 10 amp battery charger for 12 hrs. All the rust is loose but it's slimy even after rinsing and washing.I'm going to put in some pea gravel and gun patches and shake the H____ out of it.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: Undressing and seducing a '81 GL1100

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:01 am

Hello, I have a suggestion for you while you have the bike apart that far, go ahead and pull the swingarm and take alook at the pulse generator, and check the vacuum advance while your there, the diaphragm in there commonly leaks, if you have a large hole in it and it's not holding any vacuum at all and bleeds air out quickly, well that would mean that your carb will be sucking air and the bike would run like it has a vacuum leak.. because it does...Now that's more than likely why Randakks guy says to just plug it at the carb.....Makes sense to me..But I repaired mine so I would have a full functioning vacuum advance.. also the mechanical advance should be examined, mine was in poor condition when I took everything apart..Now this is just a suggestion you do as you wish, it's a pain removing the swingarm the first time..but after you do it once it's gravy ...good luck getting this bike in good running condition.... Oh,You really don't have to remove the swingarm to test the vacuum advance, just put a mitty vac hand pump on it to see if it's holding a vacuum, or if you don't have one pull the hose off the carb and the canister blow air thru the hose just to make sure its clear put it on the canister nipple and suck on the hose, the vacuum should make the hose stick to your lower lip and it should stay there, if it falls off you have a leak...Please forgive me if you know all of this already.. :D

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”