question about front caliper mounting brackets

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
noelcassidy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 aspencade

question about front caliper mounting brackets

Postby noelcassidy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:47 pm

I am rebuilding a 1983 Goldwing that I bought. The bike had sat for 10 years and got pretty corroded. The front forks were rusted on the chrome tubes and the bottom tubes looked bad. I bought a set of forks off Ebay that were supposed to be from an 83 wing. They were pretty clean and looked to be a good match. I installed the forks in the triple tree with no problems and all was going well until I went to install the brake caliper mounting brackets. They did not fit correctly so I compared the new forks and the originals. The new forks are just slightly different so the bottom caliper mounting bolt does not line up with the bracket. So it appears that I was sold a set of forks off a different year bike. I cannot use the original forks because they are way to pitted in the chrome tubes, plus the fork bottoms just look to corroded and funky. I did machine the caliper mounting brackets to work and they also had to have a 1/4" spacer installed in the large hole that the bracket slides into in order for it to line up with the rotors without any binding. I was wondering if anyone knows what year the caliper mount brackets were slightly changed so I may be able to locate a pair. The picture is what the brackets look like.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: question about front caliper mounting brackets

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:36 pm

There are (I think) three different brake calipers for GL1100's. The first generation had smaller front brakes - the second version had larger brakes, and the third incorporated anti-dive. All three have different caliper mounting points - so I'd guess that yes, you got forks for a bike other than an '83.

noelcassidy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 aspencade

Re: question about front caliper mounting brackets

Postby noelcassidy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:58 am

The forks I bought do have anti dive as did the original ones. As I say it is hard to see the difference with the naked eye because it is so slight. The bottom hole on the fork is about 1/4" off from lining up with the hole on the caliper bracket.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”