Question about Temp the Fan and a broken gauge

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
mysd455
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1000a

Question about Temp the Fan and a broken gauge

Postby mysd455 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:11 pm

My temp gauge on my 1983 "A" seems somewhat broken, The bars on the gauge starting from the top down aways read a few lines even cold. I think it may have increased to the midway point after idling the bike a while at 950 rpms. The fan does kick on, Which means it working and is getting a signal. That's fine, but if the gauge isn't working would a simple test like seeing if the fan lowers the temp enought so it stops spinning hence the water pump and thermostat are working be good or is there a better way to test it short of replacing the gauge. Maybe use a cheap Autozone type water gauge? The air pressure switch over for that same gauge works fine. The bars that should work light and it works as designed. Funny the air pressure reading start at the bottom of the gauge and the temp reading start at the top of the gauge when I switch it over. Maybe it should be that way and in fact when the fan comes on the gauge is at the half way mark...... I'm spending to much time thinking about this LOL

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Question about Temp the Fan and a broken gauge

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:00 pm

mysd455 wrote:My temp gauge on my 1983 "A" seems somewhat broken, The bars on the gauge starting from the top down aways read a few lines even cold. I think it may have increased to the midway point after idling the bike a while at 950 rpms. The fan does kick on, Which means it working and is getting a signal. That's fine, but if the gauge isn't working would a simple test like seeing if the fan lowers the temp enought so it stops spinning hence the water pump and thermostat are working be good or is there a better way to test it short of replacing the gauge. Maybe use a cheap Autozone type water gauge? The air pressure switch over for that same gauge works fine. The bars that should work light and it works as designed. Funny the air pressure reading start at the bottom of the gauge and the temp reading start at the top of the gauge when I switch it over. Maybe it should be that way and in fact when the fan comes on the gauge is at the half way mark...... I'm spending to much time thinking about this LOL

The temp gauge should start from the bottom and read upward, just like the fuel gauge. One bar means the bike is warm enough to ride, if it gets to the very top bar, it means the engine is overheating.

The thermostat that turns the fan off is completely separate from the sensor that is used to drive the temperature gauge. You are correct that if you idle the bike long enough, the fan should cycle on and off - as long as the ambient temperature isn't too high (and in Connecticut, it shouldn't be too high this time of year!).

If you have an infrared thermometer (you can get them from Harbor Freight for around $20), you can point it at the radiator and get a general idea of the coolant temperature and find out if things are working correctly.

The thermostat should open up at around 180 degrees, the fan should come on at 200 to 205 degrees.

Newport
Motorcycle: 1983A Aspencade
2012 Triumph Tiger XC

Re: Question about Temp the Fan and a broken gauge

Postby Newport » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:07 am

You may or may not have read the postings I have submitted as NEWPORT about needing an electrical wizard for an 83A.
It sounds as though you may be having problems with the electronics in your digital instrument panel.
My bike has a problem in this area right now and I am learning fast.
I even purchased a replacement (used) instrument panel and it is doing exactly what my original was doing so I am still trying to determine if the problem is in the instrument panel(s) or elsewhere.
For your temp gauge bars to be starting from the top when cold and working downwards does sound like the electronics to me but I will be more than interested if you find another answer.
My temp gauge only shows one bar which does change as the engine warms but only ever one bar and I believe there should be an increasing number of bars showing as the engine warms.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”