Starter problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
wbetheajr
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100i interstate

Starter problem

Postby wbetheajr » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:31 am

My 82 had not been run for about three weeks now so I thought I would start it and let it run a little while. Well it would not fire till it got down to the last crank that the battery had in it. I let it set a few minutes and tried again and it fired up but cut right back off, its pretty cold out tonight so I put the charger on it and let it charge several hours and now all I can get out of it is a click. Fully charged battery and only a click. My starter has never given any problem till now. I have tapped on the starter still nothing. I did notice that when I hit the starter button all the lights go almost out so the starter is pulling down the electrical systems. Any quick fix suggestions?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Starter problem

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:36 am

You may have killed the battery, or a cell in the battery. When the battery is fully "charged", and with the bike turned off, what voltage are you reading from the battery?

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:25 pm

wbetheajr wrote:My 82 had not been run for about three weeks now so I thought I would start it and let it run a little while. Well it would not fire till it got down to the last crank that the battery had in it. I let it set a few minutes and tried again and it fired up but cut right back off, its pretty cold out tonight so I put the charger on it and let it charge several hours and now all I can get out of it is a click. Fully charged battery and only a click. My starter has never given any problem till now. I have tapped on the starter still nothing. I did notice that when I hit the starter button all the lights go almost out so the starter is pulling down the electrical systems. Any quick fix suggestions?

I'm not sure on this and will have to check my self, when the starter is engaged the head lights are disconneted. Has nothing to do why your engine doesn't start.What I have found with the little time spent with a 1982 GW A is after any riding I have to put a trickel charger on the battery to keep it up. Battery is only a year old and seems to be in good shape, but just driving around the city doesn't keep it up to my satisfaction. I have a one amp charger on it and in the cold weather here it doesn't turn over that fast either. So I now put a two amp charger on and let it sit over night and that sure made a differance in turning over the engine. I did not try to start, just turn it over. Not good to start in these temps unless you run it for some time.

You just may want to check your battery for proper fluid too. WA9FWT Phil

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:33 am

Without question the best thing I ever did for my battery was to buy this Battery Tender Jr. for my bike. I used to go through one battery a year. Now I plug this thing into my bike whenever it is sitting idle, as well as leaving it on the battery all winter long. The battery is now two years old, and it still works like new.

Regular 1 amp or 2 amp chargers will sulfate a battery if left on too long - basically killing the battery. This tender will automatically adjust its charging cycle based on the charge state of the battery, and keep it fully charged and in new condition.

JE RAT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 INTERSTATE

Postby JE RAT » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Check your starter solenoid! my bike started then shut down and did the same thing. JE RAT

wbetheajr
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100i interstate

Postby wbetheajr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:29 pm

where is the solenoid located. Finally warmed up enough to work on it a bit. I run a jumper straight from the battery to the starter and it worked fine. So I think it is the solenoid or a connection

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:24 pm

wbetheajr wrote:where is the solenoid located. Finally warmed up enough to work on it a bit. I run a jumper straight from the battery to the starter and it worked fine. So I think it is the solenoid or a connection

The solenoid is located in the same enclosure that holds the main (dogbone) fuse.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”