Looking for advice on general maintainence

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
dawgout81
Motorcycle: 1988 1500

Looking for advice on general maintainence

Postby dawgout81 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:52 am

Hi Goldwingers!
I am looking for general advice for my 1981 Interstate about maintainence this winter. I bought this wing last April, rode it with just minor maintainence this summer (oil change and new rear tire was about it). It has 39,000 miles on it.

I only rode it about 1500 miles this last summer due to a knee replacement that kept me from riding for 7 weeks. This coming summer I have a 6000 mile round trip tour planned and want to do normal maintainence that will hopefully keep me on the road.
I have it in the basement now and am in the process of getting the parts together for the following maintence issues:
1. Timing belts.
2. Brake shoes and cylinder rebuilds. I have not planned to rebuild calipers, should I??
3. Radiator flush and new hoses.
4. Rear end lubrication.
5. New gas lines and filter.
6. Oil change and filter.

The advice I'm looking for is this: while it is stripped down and I'm doing the above, are there other maintence items you would recommend? Some of my thoughts would be regarding items like: water pump, fuel pump, starter, thermostat. These all are functioning well at this time, but again, since I'm in there anyway is it worth the extra time and expense, or since they are all fully functional now, should I let them be??

Also, are there any other issues you think I should be considering while it's apart?

Thanks for the advice!

Merry Christmas!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Looking for advice on general maintainence

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:12 am

You've got the majority of things covered. Timing belts, are of course at the top of the list.

Water pump, fuel, pump, starter, thermostat are all things I wouldn't bother with unless you see signs of trouble. If you are paranoid of having a problem I suppose you could do the water pump and know it is going to be good from then out - same thing goes for the fuel pump, although the failure of fuel pumps (primarily the diaphragm) is far less than that of the water pump (which itself is not all THAT common).

I would take the time to rebuild the calipers. Being down by the road, subjected to brake dust, moisture and dirt, they degrade much faster than the master cylinders. While you have the brake system apart anyway, I would spend the extra few minutes to replace your brake lines with braided stainless - without a doubt the single best upgrade you can make to your 1100.

I would consider replacing the coolant crossover pipe O-rings (particularly if you're doing the water pump). Also take a very good look at the condition of your fork and shock seals, and perhaps change the fork/shock oil.

dawgout81
Motorcycle: 1988 1500

Postby dawgout81 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll get the caliper rebuild kits for the brakes.

What do you see as the advantage to the stainless steel brake line?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:15 pm

dawgout81 wrote:What do you see as the advantage to the stainless steel brake line?

After 30 years, the old rubber brake lines swell and bulge when you apply brakes, making the brakes feel spongy and weak. Replacing them with braided stainless lines (they're new rubber lines, encased in stainless steel braid that prevents swelling) ensures the pressure you apply to your brake lever or pedal is used only to apply the brakes, instead of expanding old rubber lines. It makes your brakes feel sharp, powerful and new. It was without a doubt the single best upgrade I did to my 1100. You won't believe the difference.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:15 am

Remove the fuel sender unit look in your gas tank..it may need a good cleaning.
forks seals and bushings..if original may need replacing. If not leaking well..will they soon.
braided brakes lines a good idea
rear shocks..rebuild..if not leaking will they soon??? Like water pump and fuel don't fix it if it ain't broke..but for pease of mind replace????

Do the calipers

Read here.. http://www.randakks.com/TechTip24.htm for 1000 but basically the same of 1100's great site all kinds of info look around. Best carb rebuild kits.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”