Should I buy this bike?!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
areed6
Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki Volusia

Should I buy this bike?!

Postby areed6 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Okay, this is my first post to the forum after reading through a whole mess of topics the past four hours. I was reading through the CL ads in my city and happened across a 1981 GL 1100 Goldwing. Currently, I own a 2004 Suzuki Volusia Intruder (my first bike!). I've thought to myself since I bought the thing that I would get a lot more use out of something like a Goldwing. My wife doesn't enjoy hanging out on the rear seat of the Vol, and saddlebags are so small that I can barely fit my uniform in them to take to work with me. I'm going to have a look at the Goldwing tomorrow, and the gentleman is wanting to do a straight trade. Any advice on what to look for on this bike would be greatly appreciated. Also, I know my ride has a significantly higher blue book value, but it sounds like these Hondas can run forever. Below is the ad with some pictures in it. Thanks for the help in advance! :D

areed6

Re: Should I buy this bike?!

Postby areed6 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:49 am

I suggest you read the articles that I posted a link to below.Good luck! Regards,Johnyy www.goldwingfacts.com/usedgoldwing.htm

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:54 am

He's at the high end of the pricing..questions to ask..when did he change the timing belts? Check the water pump and file pump weep holes for signs of leaking. Check the forks at sliders for leaking around the seals. Does it idle smoothly at 950? Does the throttle snap back? Check the rear shocks for signs of leaking. Feel the brake disks are they smooth or grooved. Does it go through the gears smoothly..should only be a slight click as it goes into each one. Run it in the driveway for a while does it over heat, at least 5 minutes 10 is better, the fan should kick on as the temp gets to the middle of the gauge. Do a compression check cylinders should be over 145, the closer to 170 the better and all within a few lbs. of each other. 140's are OK, 150's good, 160's great. Look at the plugs..should all be light tan..no oil, no soot, no white.

Ask about the service record ..what has he done and what does he do on a regular bases like running sea foam or MMO through the bike.

What did you pay for your bike?

I can buy good 1100's around here for under 2,000 and sometimes under 1500 but every market is different.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:20 pm

RBG is totally correct, I would get one of the mirror's mechanics use and look under the bike at the frame and check for rust, it should be fine..I trust this guy and that's just based on the way he worded his listing, match the title numbers to the bike, you will need that mirror for that, look on the neck of the frame on the left side.. ..When I sold my Nomad I had my 1100 at the time well me and the guy buying the bike went for a nice little ride together, I was on my 1100 and he was on my Nomad, he absolutely loved the idea he could ride it on the HWY and he could really feel it, I suggest you guy's do the same..Oh, he bought the bike on the spot..Ask yourself this, does your other bike's model have as many web sites as the goldwing does for help and friends...Probably not..These bikes are fun to work on, easy to understand, and you will get all the help you need and parts here, and you will love the rear trunk man...

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:10 pm

I would look this bike over very carefully, the first red flag for me is 26,000 miles in 31 years. thats less than 680 miles per year.Ridden every weekend? These bikes do not like to sit around for extended periods of time. Seals and gaskets dry out . I would guess that the clock has made one trip around already RBG gave some very good advice, check things out carefully, If you can afford it buy the wing for cash and sell your Suzuki in the spring for what its worth.
The Wing is a great bike and will give you many thousand miles of enjoyment,with proper maintainance you can expect 2-300,000 miles out of that engine.Your wife will love the back of the Wing,very comfy.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

areed6

Postby areed6 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:52 pm

Awesome forum. Thanks everyone for the information and advice. I went out and had a look at her today. Quite a bit of surface rust all around. Bike was cold when I got there and fired right up, idled a hair over a grand, no smoke or anything. Looked and sounded mechanically sound. Lots of cosmetic issues, but that is what I expected. He mentioned that the front fork seals needed replacing, and that the air pressure(?) needed to be refilled every day that the bike was ridden. I rode my Volusia out and realized on the way back how much I love riding it. Didn't ride the Wing, I got the feeling we needed to be talking money before a test drive was in order. I've pretty much decided against a straight trade, my bike has zero issues and I paid more for it than I am estimating the Wing to be worth. All this research though has given me the itch to get a project bike though. I've only been riding for about year now, and never worked on bikes or cars before. But man would it be cool to get one of these old machines and bring it back to its original glory. On the fence about offering money for this bike, or looking around for something much cheaper but in need of more attention. Thanks again for all the help!

britman
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing and an 82 naked goldwing

Postby britman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:12 pm

Whats wrong with the mileage one of my wings has 25 and the other 29 . The thing that gets me is a lot of surface rust how long has it been sitting to get that . If it runs good i offer him 1000 as it does need some work gl1100 in the Saint Louis area go any where from 200 bucks to 1800 for a good one then a few guys are asking 3500 to 4000 way over the money to pay . I have about 1 g in to both my wings one was free and the other cost me 200 bucks so some times its worth looking for a running bike as by the time you have it running its about the same cost

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”