clutch grabbing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
emt613
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

clutch grabbing

Postby emt613 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:01 pm

When placing bike into first gear I get a little grab and it tries to move on me. Also if I try to start the bike using JUST THE CLUTCH, and hit the starter,it will grab.This actually caused me ruin a starter. My questions are this,,,#1 will some SEAFOAM or MMO help to remedy this and if so how much? Also,,,,can the neutral start switch be modified to REQUIRE the transmission to be in neutral so that I can't just jump on and pull the clutch lever? Thanks,,Roy

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: clutch grabbing

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:48 pm

How much slack/play is there at the clutch lever? If you have too much slack adjust it out at the handle bar end first. Too much slack means the clutch plates will drag. Is this a new condition or did it gradually get worse over time? Is the bike new to you? Has it been sitting for a long time? More info is needed to make a better diagnosis. Seafoam wont hurt anything either, just follow the instructions on the can.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

emt613
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby emt613 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:06 am

The bike has not set for more than a winter as far as any po's know. This will be my third season coming up with this bike and it appears,talking to previous owners to be a slowly changing concern. Will have to wait to check slack in cable as I am on my way to work.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:21 am

It is a wet clutch and the plates could be sticking especially in colder weather..but more likely your cable is not adjusted correctly or it's stretched out and you need to get a new one..or it's sticking..So first check the adjustment 1/8 slack at the top..before you feel pull, then add a little lube down the cable to make sure it's sliding easily and lastly you can drain 8 oz. of oil add some sea foam ,diesel or MMO and run the bike easy for 50 miles then change the oil and filter that will clean out a lot of sludge in your engine and maybe the clutch plates if they were gummed up..could be burnt/glazed and then you need new plates but then they are more likely to slip not grab.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”