FRONT SUSPENSION AIR LEAK

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
hudson10
Motorcycle: 1983 GOLDWING 1100

FRONT SUSPENSION AIR LEAK

Postby hudson10 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:10 pm

I changed front seals two times - Still leaked - Then I had an idea - When air is out i filled it with a can of tire sealer - It took three day's - once a day - It has'nt leaked a pound in a month - It worked for Me - Good Luck - Dennis

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: FRONT SUSPENSION AIR LEAK

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Apple Valley....Is NICKS still there? They had the best Lasagna ever.The pizza was great too.
Well that was back in the 80's ;)

hudson10

Postby hudson10 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm more in to Mexican Food - So I ask my wife [ and then I remembered ] Yes it's still here but it's in a shopping center on Bear Valley and Navajo now - I will try it now - Thank's

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:52 pm

I wore off the sides off my tires on my 1000 when I lived there.I worked at the AF base.It seemed that it was always blowing 40 mph wind.It was a 30* tilt there and back every day.Seldom got to ride upright.
I even saw snow on the ground once at 3 am one year.Ohhh the memories.The back road to Hesperia was a cool ride,especially that one near vertical drop off.Just like a roller coaster ride.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:32 am

hudson10 wrote:I changed front seals two times - Still leaked - Then I had an idea - When air is out i filled it with a can of tire sealer - It took three day's - once a day - It has'nt leaked a pound in a month - It worked for Me - Good Luck - Dennis

If and when you ever sell your bike you will be referred to as "That *&^%$**&^ previous owner". Just can't see anything good coming from a can of tire sealer in the forks. There is a reason for a specific amount of oil in the forks. You need the air space for proper damping and you will probably contaminate the oil as well. No offense meant with my reply, I'm just not sure what to make of this. I wish you well. Keep us informed of how this works out.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

hudson10

Postby hudson10 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:57 am

Changing the seal's is a lot of work - Only to have them fail twice - The worst thing that can happen i will have to change the suspension part's - I was going to do that anyway - So I had nothing to lose - When you have nothing to lose - Go for it - Better to ride on Air then a Flat Tire !

hudson10

Postby hudson10 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:14 am

virgilmobile wrote:I wore off the sides off my tires on my 1000 when I lived there.I worked at the AF base.It seemed that it was always blowing 40 mph wind.It was a 30* tilt there and back every day.Seldom got to ride upright.
I even saw snow on the ground once at 3 am one year.Ohhh the memories.The back road to Hesperia was a cool ride,especially that one near vertical drop off.Just like a roller coaster ride.

Have lived here since 1958 - The weather is still the same - The road's have all been replaced with 4 lane highway's - Did you ever hit any of the bar's in the Victot Valley ? Maybe you knew Billy Wade owner of The New O IN Adelanto -I used to ride a lot in those day's - Might know you

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:25 am

If the seals continue to fail, it's likely due to pitting in the forks themselves. There's ways of fixing that as well - coat with J-B weld, wait until it cures, then sand it down smooth with 1500 grit paper.

Like dingdong said - putting tire sealer in there is going to do bad things. I wouldn't be surprised if it clogs up the insides of the forks and eventually stops oil flowing inside at all.

hudson10

Postby hudson10 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:41 am

WingAdmin wrote:If the seals continue to fail, it's likely due to pitting in the forks themselves. There's ways of fixing that as well - coat with J-B weld, wait until it cures, then sand it down smooth with 1500 grit paper.

Like dingdong said - putting tire sealer in there is going to do bad things. I wouldn't be surprised if it clogs up the insides of the forks and eventually stops oil flowing inside at all.

OK - The Point is - I dont care - I'm on Air - There is no pitting - If the suspension goes bad then I will replace it - Until then I'm HAPPY

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:36 pm

hudson10 wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:If the seals continue to fail, it's likely due to pitting in the forks themselves. There's ways of fixing that as well - coat with J-B weld, wait until it cures, then sand it down smooth with 1500 grit paper.

OK - The Point is - I dont care - I'm on Air - There is no pitting - If the suspension goes bad then I will replace it - Until then I'm HAPPY

Don't worry be happy! Que sera, sera! Oh well! What if it fails when you're are running at 70mph or in the twisties?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:48 pm

I was going to stay out of this one and just watch to see where it went. I cannot in good conscience say nothing anymore.

You say: OK - The Point is - I dont care - I'm on Air - There is no pitting - If the suspension goes bad then I will replace it - Until then I'm HAPPY

There is a problem with that attitude, you don’t care that by putting a completely wrong substance in the front forks of your bike, A substance that by design is supposed to plug up holes, oil flowing through small holes is what gives the forks its rebound dampening, you have no idea how that is going to affect the proper functioning of your bikes suspension and therefore its handling. A suspension malfunction at speed ,like a sticking of the fork tubes in any position will create a situation that you more than likely be unprepared to handle. You are putting your life at risk, which maybe your right to do. What is not your right to do is put anyone else’s life at risk with such irresponsible behavior. The accident you may cause might injure or kill someone else. If you are unable to remedy the problem with the seals leaking then I suggest you take the bike to a mechanic that is able to do the job properly. Don’t be so lazy, fix it properly or don’t ride.

If you had asked us how to solve your leaky seal problem this would have gone a completely different way, but seeing as you didn’t ask ..........

This is just how I feel on such an important safety issue, I have said my piece and am can take any flack you may think is due my way.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:40 am

I hope your next reply, if you reply, is to tell us that you have decided to properly remedy this problem. Your playing Russian Roulette. I don't want to see you hurt, or even worse, dead.
Tom

drummerdave9
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby drummerdave9 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:03 pm

I did however replace my front and rear because they were leaking and did not want to tackle new seals. I found a "decent" set of front and back shocks on eBay. After install front shocks are topping out and rear is still bottoming out. I have plenty of air in both. I am not a mechanic and tried to research this be I put them on. Can anyone help guide me in the right direction on how to fix my situation? When I put them on I simply put them on and hooked up the air lines. Suspension is very squishy still at this point. Front end dips a bit when i really squeeze the front brake, and the rear bottomed out with my wife on the back. Any info is great thanks.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”