runs smooth, then runs like running out of gas

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
steve allen
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

runs smooth, then runs like running out of gas

Postby steve allen » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:10 pm

I have a 82 intersate, had issues with rust in tank, cleaned out, replaced fuel filter and lines.......cranks up and runs smooth for a few minutes, then sounds like running only on 3 cylinders instead of 4. I blew back threw petcock with air, hooked lines up again, done the exact same thing. I am getting frustated, can't seem to get bike running right no matter what I do. Before, the bike run perfect........please help me wih ideas.Steve You can E-mail me at wizzard52@yahoo.com or leave message in this forum.

noelcassidy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 aspencade

Re: runs smooth, then runs like running out of gas

Postby noelcassidy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:15 pm

Had a similar problem with a Yamaha Venture. Bits of rust got into the carbs and clogged the float bowl shutoff valve allowing gas to be poured into the #1 cylinder. Made it run crappy. Ended up changing all gas lines, removed and cleaned carbs, new fuel filter. My tank was okay, no rust. Actually parts of the gas line were the culprit. It sounds like you will need to remove the carbs and give them a good cleaning.

MSGT-R
Motorcycle: 13 F6B
81 GL1100 (gone)

Postby MSGT-R » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Try running it with the gas cap loosened, the vent may be plugged.
Don't spook the road sheep.

steve allen
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Postby steve allen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:52 am

MSGT-R wrote:Try running it with the gas cap loosened, the vent may be plugged.

Where is the vent......or is the vent in te gas cap? I have tank out of frame and had to fiberglass the bottom to repair leaks, and have really cleaned the inside for rust, blew through pick-ups, this has to be the only thing left to check, so, where is the vent?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:30 am

It's built into the gas cap itself. Like MSG-T mentioned elsewhere, if it's not venting, you can get around it by drilling a tiny hole in it, or just get a new one.

The problem is that if it doesn't vent, as the bike uses up gas, no air is let into the tank to replace it, and you end up with a vacuum. Eventually the vacuum overcomes the ability of the fuel pump to pump gas, and the bike "runs out of gas." Opening the gas cap and closing it again (you'll hear a WHOOSH of air) fixes the problem for a while until it happens again.

The same thing can happen in airplanes, however it's a little more serious. A lot of small airplanes have "wet wings" - where an inboard section of each wing is sealed and becomes a fuel tank. If a gas cap vent fails, the engine driven fuel pump will create such a vacuum that the tank will collapse - causing the wing to fail, which is generally a bad thing to have happen while flying.

steve allen
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Postby steve allen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:20 am

WingAdmin wrote:It's built into the gas cap itself. Like MSG-T mentioned elsewhere, if it's not venting, you can get around it by drilling a tiny hole in it, or just get a new one.

The problem is that if it doesn't vent, as the bike uses up gas, no air is let into the tank to replace it, and you end up with a vacuum. Eventually the vacuum overcomes the ability of the fuel pump to pump gas, and the bike "runs out of gas." Opening the gas cap and closing it again (you'll hear a WHOOSH of air) fixes the problem for a while until it happens again.

The same thing can happen in airplanes, however it's a little more serious. A lot of small airplanes have "wet wings" - where an inboard section of each wing is sealed and becomes a fuel tank. If a gas cap vent fails, the engine driven fuel pump will create such a vacuum that the tank will collapse - causing the wing to fail, which is generally a bad thing to have happen while flying.

I have heard the vaccum noise several of times now that you mentioned it, is any other automotive gas cap accectable? seems like eveything I check on at local Honda shop says I have obselete wing, no more OEM avalible. Have learned that alot of automotive honda civic parts interchange with wings, timing-belts(1/4 the cost of OEM), radiator cap, again, half the price of OEM from Honda, wonder about Gas cap? Thanks for all your support and guidance, Steve

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:36 am

You can try and see if one will fit. Or you can try a used one, they usually sell for under $10.

MSGT-R
Motorcycle: 13 F6B
81 GL1100 (gone)

Postby MSGT-R » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:17 pm

The vent is in the center hollow section of the gas cap itself. Unless you're planning some strange violent manuvers that will make the gas slosh really bad, drilling a small hole in the top of the cap is the cheapest fix to your problem. The size of a pencil lead will do. Like I said before, Honda Direct Line Parts http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_select1.asp?cat=Motorcycles&mfg=Honda has caps; I know, I bought one last summer along with the fuel pump it ruined.

The article is posted in here http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=161. I took a picture of the new next to the old, and showed the part number for edification.

Don't spook the road sheep.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”